• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MEC407

Follow-up story on the siblings:

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/05/13/ ... and-drugs/

Terribly sad, for so many reasons.

We've really got to do more for people who are suffering and crying out for help, otherwise our train crews will continue to be traumatized by these horrific incidents.
  by MEC407

Non-fatal crash in Portland this afternoon:
Portland Press Herald wrote:Police, fire and ambulance crews responded shortly after 4 p.m. to the crash site on Woodford Street, between Beacon Street and Forest Avenue, said police Lt. Robert Doherty.

The tan Ford Explorer, driven by an 88-year-old Portland resident, was heading east on Woodford Street toward Forest Avenue and the train was traveling north toward stops in Freeport and Brunswick.
. . .
The driver, who had no passengers, was treated at the scene for non-life-threatening injuries and transported to a local hospital for further treatment, Doherty said.
https://www.pressherald.com/2022/05/14/ ... -portland/
  by stevefol

Completely anecdotal, but I've noticed the OTP of the Downeaster seems greatly improved since CSX became official owners of PanAm on 6/1. The number of early arrivals of the southbounds at WOB is something I'd not seen in a long time.
  by swist

I know OTP is tracked, but I don't know where to look for it. Hard numbers would be useful, as I haven't had the same experience. As a weekly rider, 10-15 min or more delays end-to-end seem typical. But I am on just one or two of the 70 trips per week, so my experience is hardly statistically significant.
  by BandA

Maybe the OTP is due to PAR employees being on their best behavior, or temporary suspension of projects while CSX gets their arms around things?