Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1572588  by Cosakita18

The Amtrak Connects Us report proposes reducing travel times from BRK-BON, but doesn't outline any specific proposals or goals to make that happen. Realistically, what would be the most attainable way to shave ~20 minutes off of BRK/POR-BON? PTC outside of MBTA territory to get speeds above 79 seems like the most straightforward way to make that happen.
 #1572589  by MEC407

This is one of those situations where it's unfortunate that B&M abandoned the Eastern Route, which was much straighter than the Western Route and could have supported higher speeds.

I'm not sure where or how you shave a full 20 minutes off the BON-POR route (maybe by straightening some curves and upgrading the rails from 115 LB to 132 LB, all of which would be very expensive), but shaving 20 minutes off the BON-BRK route becomes pretty easy simply by moving the Portland station onto the mainline and raising track speeds between POR and BRK, which have always felt unnecessarily slow to me.

If they're still planning to add a stop in Falmouth, you'd have to add 5 minutes to the running time... so the 20 minute reduction becomes a 15 minute reduction.
 #1572596  by markhb

NNEPRA had a TIGER or PRIIA proposal years ago to shave 15 minutes off POR-BON; I thought I had the document but can't find it now. I know the Wells siding was a big part of it to reduce delays due to meets, but I don't recall the rest. Presumably much of that is either still valid or even already accomplished.

EDIT: I found the (dead) link to that proposal way back in this thread from 2012, but it turns out that the Wayback Machine had it stored! It actually would shave 10 minutes off POR-BON travel time with a mix of:
  • Interlocking upgrade, track and tie replacements, curve adjustments, and signal modifications;
  • The Wells double track extension project
  • Sidings in Arundel and East Kingston NH
  • Use of Track #2 between CPF-196 and 198 (Allen Ave - Riverside St in Portland, possibly since mitigated by the double track project in Falmouth - Cumberland- Yarmouth).
 #1572621  by Cosakita18

markhb wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:40 am
  • Use of Track #2 between CPF-196 and 198 (Allen Ave - Riverside St in Portland, possibly since mitigated by the double track project in Falmouth - Cumberland- Yarmouth).
Track #2 is definitely currently used by the DE, or at least it was for the previous 4x r/t schedule. I bike the Riverton trail and have seen plenty of running meets.
markhb wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:40 am
  • Sidings in Arundel and East Kingston NH
With a siding in Arundel, you might as well just double track all the way from Wells to Rigby :P The RoW is mostly preserved.
 #1572631  by gokeefe

The legislation out there right now would conduct feasibility studies. As far as routes go I think the Back Road is the only viable option at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1572640  by njtmnrrbuff

If and when the Portland Station is relocated, that will probably shave off 10-15 minutes off travel time for people heading to stations east of Portland. The fact that the current Portland Station is off the main and requires a few backup moves adds time to the schedule. That's going to be one long siding in the Wells area that it should be double track.
 #1572660  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:18 pm The legislation out there right now would conduct feasibility studies. As far as routes go I think the Back Road is the only viable option at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Here's a good feasibiity study. Run the service, and after 6 months, if it's not viable, cancel it. We're way ahead of the game at that point, and for less money.
 #1572691  by jonnhrr

jcpatten wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:14 pm There's 2 or 3 Concord busses to Bangor via I-95 and one via Rt 1 (2 in summer), and I think Greyhound has one bus to Bangor. There's only one bus continuing north of Bangor to Aroostook County, and perhaps one bus east of Bangor (I'm not really sure about that one). No busses that branch off of I-95 to places like Greenville, Jackman or Rangeley.
West Transportation Bus runs daily from Bangor to Calais via Rte. 1 I believe that is still running. Cyr bus lines runs daily from Bangor (Concord Coach station) to Caribou. That is pretty much it for anywhere North of Bangor.
 #1572987  by Greg Moore

Not just there. CSX is reportedly removing sidings on the Water Level route in NYS, where Amtrak already has problems with CSX and timing.
 #1573023  by markhb

I don't have the link at hand, but the state Transportation Committee has amended LD 227, the study to extend passenger rail to Bangor, to instead be a Transit Propensity study encompassing all possible modes of travel (specifically including passenger rail) and requiring 25% of the study's funding to come from the municipalities that stand to benefit.
 #1573398  by artman

...and Lewiston/Auburn get their 15 minutes of fame...

From Portland Press Herald - 6/9/21

Proposal to extend passenger rail into Androscoggin County picks up steam among state legislators

https://www.pressherald.com/2021/06/09/ ... gislators/

A proposal to extend passenger rail service to Lewiston and Auburn isn’t exactly on the fast track, but it is chugging along after lawmakers this week backed further study of the idea.

The $180,000 proposal would build on a 2019 study of rail options between Portland and the state’s second largest metropolitan area to require the state Department of Transportation to provide “an economic evaluation of commuter and passenger rail service” on the route by next March.