Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Cancellations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1589473  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 am
RRspatch wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:35 am There's a report on Facebook (one of the Amtrak groups) that the Meteor is cancelled through the end of March. The report goes on to say the Silver Star will run daily with 5 sleepers and 5 coaches.
Mr. Spatch, if Amtrak must scrub one or the other, they were wise to whack 97-98 Meteor.

Never mind that remaining 91-92, Star's, cobbled together routing ever since SCL chopped up the Seaboard (I still think they should have considered having two "one-way" railroads; but I have no knowledge to what extent they did) is circuitous, it has more on-line population centers and two State Capitols on-line. Beside 89-90, Palmetto, is apparently unaffected.
Yes I agree this is the best approach. All stations will retain daily service as the Palmetto will still be operating. I believe the Silver Meteor's route is one where crew ranks are strained. As much as this is disappointing to me as a supporter of Amtrak LD service and a rider, this temporary reduction is probably the responsible thing to do as the situation has already lead to random cancellations and this type of reduction is far more orderly for passengers than random cancellations when employees call out. And the period of the reduction is the deadest time of the year demand wise. The Meteor will return in time for the northern bird migration. Additionally management is open to resuming some of the suspended service sooner if the Omicron surge dies down (or if ongoing hiring which will continue improves the situation at certain crew bases.)
 #1589474  by lordsigma12345

Additionally the word is they are even going to increase the Star's consist to make up for no Meteor - on another board 5 sleepers and 5 coaches has been reported and the Star will also add a stop at Jesup, GA which only sees the Meteor presently.
 #1589484  by lordsigma12345

And here it is:

Capitol Limited Sunday - Thursday
Lake Shore Thursday - Monday
Empire Builder - Saturday - Wednesday
Coast Starlight Friday - Tuesday
CONO Monday - Friday
Chief Wednesday - Sunday
Zephyr Tuesday - Saturday
Texas Eagle Friday - Tuesday
 #1589585  by west point

It would be interesting for all three services. Figure how many mils of each service is going to be cancelled for a week. Then compare no cancellations miles for a week.
 #1589601  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Lord, it appears both #3(17) and #5(17) are operating today. I can time my three mile (supposedly Daily) walk to observe both of them along Burlington Ave in Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale Ave. in Hinsdale.

Better get the walk in today and tomorrow with the temps in the "high 20's", lest I have my Primary Care Doctor "on my case". He has said to me "I can't expect it from my other 80yo patients; but I can from you".
 #1589638  by lordsigma12345

Mr. Norman not all the trains are starting the reduced schedule at the same time - I think the zephyr MAY be running one more week daily. On another note the first “Silver Superstar” northbound ran today. First southbound runs Wednesday when todays consist turns at NYP. Essentially they’ve sandwiched the star’s consist between the meteor’s coaches and sleepers/baggage.

Consist is:
2 P42
3 Meteor Amfleet 2 Coaches
2 Star Amfleet 2 Coaches
Star Amfleet 2 lounge
Star Viewliner 2 Diner
Star 10 car Viewliner 2 sleeper
Star 11 car Viewliner 1 sleeper
Meteor 10 car viewliner 2 sleeper (sold as 12 car)
Meteor 11 car viewliner 1 sleeper (sold as 13 car)
Meteor 12 car viewliner 2 sleeper (sold as 14 car)
Meteor baggage
 #1590183  by west point

This poster is wondering what is with Amtrak? I have been following the Amtrak employment of personnel to repair locos and cars. Only starting about Dec.30th has there suddenly been large openings for journeyman electricians, carmen journeyman, Machinist journeyman, etc.

These openings were for each location that LD trains terminated as well as Pontiac. What I did not see was openings for mechanical for the intermediate station locations for minor repair such as Minot, Denver, SLC, ABQ, SAS, ATL, CLT, and Florence. Not many openings on the NEC so were they already filled?

Since the new fiscal year began Oct 1 why were these openings not listed sooner? The FY2022 budget was not passed then but still recruits certainly could have been rounded up? How long does it take to train these employees? Hope the intermediate stations listed are keeping enough mechanical persons. Note the Journeyman openings listed all had openings listed in the plural.

For those who want to see theopenings:
https://careers.amtrak.com/go/Engineeri ... ction=desc
 #1590202  by Train60

west point wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 pm Since the new fiscal year began Oct 1 why were these openings not listed sooner?
This recent Amtrak OIG report might explain why many positions at Amtrak are taking longer to fill than normal.
https://amtrakoig.gov/audit-documents/a ... -workforce
Last edited by Train60 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1590228  by eolesen

The large number of openings at Amtrak could also be related people who quit versus getting vaccinated. There are better places to work who don't want to control your health care choices...

My company mandated vaccines, and in the four months following the announcement, resignations doubled and tripled depending on which month you look at. It could just be coincidental, but I know several left specifically over the mandate.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590230  by Railjunkie

I know I had posted this before, but during the time I was working with the local chairman for the conductors they were looking to hire eight I believe. They received over one hundred applicants it was a struggle to find the eight.

A few questions that were asked and I am sure are still asked no matter the craft.

Are you vaccinated?
If are not, you willing to become vaccinated?
Can you pass a drug screen (hair follicle)?
Are you willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays?
Are you willing to attend "X" weeks of school were there will be little to no chance of you getting home on weekends?
You do understand if you do not pass all your mandatory tests and quizzes you will not have a job at the end of your schooling.
 #1590469  by Maverickstation1

Nothing posted from Amtrak yet, but we are due to get a substantial storm on Saturday from early am through Saturday evening in Greater Boston. The present track shows the greatest snow totals in eastern Mass (NOT the Cape, or Islands), with a foot to a foot and a half expected. The high winds forecast may be worse on Amtrak electric operations. Stay tuned........

https://www.boston.com/weather/snow/202 ... hp_primary
 #1590474  by STrRedWolf

Maverickstation1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:57 am Nothing posted from Amtrak yet, but we are due to get a substantial storm on Saturday from early am through Saturday evening in Greater Boston. The present track shows the greatest snow totals in eastern Mass (NOT the Cape, or Islands), with a foot to a foot and a half expected. The high winds forecast may be worse on Amtrak electric operations. Stay tuned........

https://www.boston.com/weather/snow/202 ... hp_primary
Yeah, heard from NBC's Today show that there's some uncertanty, depending on what model you're getting. This is definitely a "play it by ear" but I wouldn't bet on travel between NYC and Boston.
 #1590538  by west point

The first cancellations will be Acelas to BOS. Then all electric service unless a diesel can sub or run with an electric.