Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Cancellations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1588667  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:47 am
gprimr1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:00 am You are, but here's the problem for some people, they may still want to travel, and in that case, a full refund is a horrible proposition.

Consider my friend. He lives in MD, visiting family in NY. He needs to travel to get back to MD. He buys his tickets 6-8 months in advance, so he gets the best deals on saver seats, sometimes paying only $30 dollars or so for a ticket.

Sure, he gets a full refund of his $30, but he's still stuck in NY and needs to get home so now he has to buy a ticket 24 hours prior to departure. His new ticket cost $120 dollars, 4 times what he paid before.
And, what is so wrong with that?
You book early for a super saving discount fare, you are relying upon Amtrak to run that train.
You could book not as early and pay the regular fare, you are not relying upon Amtrak as much to run that train.
That's the risk you are taking for booking so early.
I believe that is very similar case with all modes of public intercity travel.
I think we're used to the airline model for rebooking.

Take back in 2007 when I had to deal with a clusterfluffle of United, US Air, and Expedia. United canceled both flights on my way to Pittsburgh, and rebooked over the phone... only to reboot again at the airport due to how their code-share system "worked". Not once was I charged a rebooking fee or the difference between tickets. If there was, they ate the cost because the fault was on them not living up to the carriage contract.

What does Amtrak's Contract of Carriage say? "Protected if reaccomidated, else refund only."

...someone needs to call the ombudsman.
 #1588670  by eolesen

Yep. It's serious double standards when it comes to airlines vs. rail.

Airlines get dinged with Federal tax. Rail doesn't.

Airlines get fines for keeping people "trapped" for more than four hours on an airplane stuck on the ground. Rail doesn't.

Airlines are obligated by past practice to re-accommodate people onto alternate flights at no incremental cost to the customer when flights are canceled or significantly delayed. Rail apparently doesn't.
 #1588671  by STrRedWolf

Trains NewsWire got a hold of the internal employee advisory.
There were some cancellations, though. While booked passengers were asked via email or text to choose a different train or travel another day and no advisories were issued, an Amtrak employee advisory obtained by Trains News Wire attributed annulments to “staffing shortages caused by the pandemic.”
Related cancellations that are still active are the Night Owl (65-66-67) through Jan 6th.

Unrelated is the truncation of the Crescent (19/20) between New Orleans and Atlanta due to NS doing a maintenance blitz.
 #1589311  by STrRedWolf

They're spooked over Winter Storm Izzy now and just made the call around 5pm EST, posting to Twitter:

CANCELED
DEPARTING 1/15: Texas Eagle 21 from CHI, 22 from SAS, City of New Orleans 58 from NOL, 59 from CHI, Capitol Limited 30 from CHI, Cardinal 50 from CHI.

DEPARTING 1/16: Capitol Limited 29 from WAS, Cardinal 51 from NYP.
 #1589347  by Railjunkie

Just got a new job bid sheet tonight. If you traveling between January 24th and ?? check your reservation. Trains are being cut back nationwide due to the lack of motive power and equipment.
 #1589367  by lordsigma12345

Definitely sounds like some winter cuts are coming from sometime in the next couple weeks to late March (sounds like 29th would be target date of service restoration. ) Meteor is showing “sold out” on Amtrak website from next week until March 28.
 #1589370  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:56 pm Just got a new job bid sheet tonight. If you traveling between January 24th and ?? check your reservation. Trains are being cut back nationwide due to the lack of motive power and equipment.
Yuck. Are they having trouble getting staff to repair the equipment?
 #1589372  by Railjunkie

IDK just came back from a couple of days off saw the local chairman from the UTU who was in his usual jovial mood all he said was "wait and see". Grabbed a bid sheet when I got back from the NYP and made a few phone calls and this was the jist of it. I know Covid is an issue, people they laid off never came back matter of fact they are offering an incentive program to have people stay. Finally the way they stored equipment when they pulled the plug on service was not exactly following the numbers.
 #1589388  by gprimr1

eolesen wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:09 am Yep. It's serious double standards when it comes to airlines vs. rail.

Airlines get dinged with Federal tax. Rail doesn't.

Airlines get fines for keeping people "trapped" for more than four hours on an airplane stuck on the ground. Rail doesn't.

Airlines are obligated by past practice to re-accommodate people onto alternate flights at no incremental cost to the customer when flights are canceled or significantly delayed. Rail apparently doesn't.
That's very interesting. Amtrak should really just adopt the airline practice. Consider that most people are used to that as a standard. Imagine a first time rider on Amtrak getting a great saver fare, only to get it cancelled and have to rebook at day of travel prices. That rider might not be likely to return to Amtrak.

My friend ultimately did get his money back from Amtrak.
 #1589460  by RRspatch

lordsigma12345 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:24 am Definitely sounds like some winter cuts are coming from sometime in the next couple weeks to late March (sounds like 29th would be target date of service restoration. ) Meteor is showing “sold out” on Amtrak website from next week until March 28.
There's a report on Facebook (one of the Amtrak groups) that the Meteor is cancelled through the end of March. The report goes on to say the Silver Star will run daily with 5 sleepers and 5 coaches. Add a diner, a cafe lounge and a baggage car and you're up to 13 cars which is almost the length of a Florida train back in the 70's and 80's.
 #1589468  by STrRedWolf

Okay, there's two rounds of cancellations going on here.

Weather related: (https://www.amtrak.com/modified-service ... nter-storm)
  • Jan 15th: Trains 19/20, 91/92, 50, 30, 58&59, 21&22
  • Jan 16th: Trains 552, 29, 19&20, 147, 43, 79*80, 73/74/75/76/77/78
  • Jan 17th: 156, 660, 661,662,615, 42. Keystone 667 starts in Philly.
COVID-19 Omnicron related: (https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -march-27/)
Overall, plans will amount to an 8% reduction in train departures over the 63-day period. That will include 8% of Northeast Regional departures; two weekly departures on nine long-distance routes, which will be reduced to five-day-a-week operation; complete suspension of the Silver Meteor for the 10-week period; and 6% of state-supported regional service. However, the head of one regional operation contacted by Trains News Wire was unaware of the national network cuts or the staffing impacts on that individual’s service.
If you noticed, I linked to the advisory for the weather related one. I could not find even a press release for the longer-term adjustment. I do see the NY Times and Bloomberg Government report independently, though.
 #1589471  by Gilbert B Norman

RRspatch wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:35 am There's a report on Facebook (one of the Amtrak groups) that the Meteor is cancelled through the end of March. The report goes on to say the Silver Star will run daily with 5 sleepers and 5 coaches.
Mr. Spatch, if Amtrak must scrub one or the other, they were wise to whack 97-98 Meteor.

Never mind that remaining 91-92, Star's, cobbled together routing ever since SCL chopped up the Seaboard (I still think they should have considered having two "one-way" railroads; but I have no knowledge to what extent they did) is circuitous, it has more on-line population centers and two State Capitols on-line. Beside 89-90, Palmetto, is apparently unaffected.