Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

Nasadowsk wrote:Heck, is anything Metra runs even airbag suspension? I never studied one of those cars up close...
None of the push-pull fleet has airbag suspension. The new Electric District cars do (they ride on the same trucks as NICTD's cars). Can't remember offhand what kind of trucks the older Highliners have.

by VRELackie

Nasadowsk wrote:BBD pillboxes are FRA compliant. They had to meet more or less the same standards as any metra car built at the same time.

Anything stainless doing well - no surprise, especially a Budd design - Budd tended to design fabulously light/strong cars.

As for the trucks Metra uses, I guess everyone sticks to what they know - inboard bearing stuff is STILL seen everywhere in the northeast, though most inboard trucks at least aren't total dinosaurs (save for the Pioneer III derivatives, very neat design but they tend to fall on the faces on rough track). I think Septa's asking for IB on their new Silverliners which should be fun to watch because they're also going to need huge motors on those things to get the performance (I'm guessing around 1000+hp/car, or 4x250hp motors/car)...

Heck, is anything Metra runs even airbag suspension? I never studied one of those cars up close...

hmmm.... Canton I-beam trucks have outboard bearings ... standard passenger style F or EE bearings if i'm not mistaken.

I know thats what we at VRE have ordered and the pictures of the Metra cars look almost 100% identical as far as the outside goes, except the ugly green windows you all seem to be so fond of up there