Railroad Forums 

• Alstom Plant in Hornell, NY (Amtrak Avelia, Commuter, Subway)

• Forum for the discussion of Alstom Transport. Their official web-site is here: Alstom Transport
Forum for the discussion of Alstom Transport. Their official web-site is here: Alstom Transport

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#6169  by WNYRailfan

How much business does the Alstom facility in Hornell, NY do? I know they build cars for the subway systems in New York City and Chicago. What else?

Is the Alstom facility railfan friendly?

I do not think anyone can deny that Hornell, NY was a railroad town.
Has Alstom and Norfolk Southern brought the spark (cinder, fuel, etc.) back into the rail community in Hornell?

How much of the Alstom facility is former Erie Railroad property?
All of it?

Who owns the former Erie Railroad station in Hornell? Alstom?

WNYRailfan

#6194  by DutchRailnut

currently Alstom is rebuilding cars for MARTA in atlanta
building Comet V's for NJT and MNCR, starting PL42ac diesel locomtive production for NJT, plus starting new cars for NYCTA.
if cars are outside there are a few good places to picture them but no way to even peek into factory.
yes the station is occupied with offices of alstom or will be.

#6287  by joshuahouse

Alstom has moved into the station, still no sign of the small museum that was supposed to be in there as well. I was in Hornell last thursday (march 18th) hoping to get to see a train come off of the WNYP but no such luck. They seem to be having any trains that are in the hole wait by the overpass (I think maple st?) but that may have been due to the MoW work going on to repair after the derailment on the 15th. One really bad thing about Hornell is that most of the town is on one side of the tracks, but the only super market thats in walking distance is on the other. People in hornell generally know there way around trains, and they have to slow down anyway because of the plant, but it really is an accident waiting to happen. I don't think i have ever seen a person walk over the overpass to get to the market.

#6298  by nydepot

You'll find signs that say "No Pedestrians" on the bridge. Just north of the highway bridge is the subway. It is an underground crossing of the railroad. It's wide and lit. Used to be fun to ride your bike through it. As kids, we ignored the "Please walk your bicycyle" sign. Many cross using this. Going to school, we crossed at the asphalt walk CR created at the station.

I bet you'll find most walking right across the tracks though.

Charles

#6299  by nydepot

As for Erie Property, you'll find all of the property at the shops was Erie. The space east of there in the old yards was also Erie. In North Hornell, the space along Rt. 36 was vacant land and PS&N RR "Shawmut" property.

Charles

#6486  by joshuahouse

I've never even thought of walking over the bridge, I live up in Bath, so whenever i'm in Hornell I have a car with me. Something I have wondered about though, is the current "subway" where the old one from the turn of the 20th century was? (That would be fun to ride your bike thru tho)

#6820  by nydepot

Yes, the subway is the original one, although rebuilt. The trolley used to go under there to continue down Canisteo St. to Canisteo, NY.

Charles
 #1622948  by Jeff Smith

Behind a paywall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ed-trains/
Inside the plant building the fastest passenger trains in America

HORNELL, N.Y. — In a sprawling complex surrounded by hills, hundreds of yellow-vested workers are building the nation’s fastest trains — resembling the European-style rail cars that have largely been absent from American tracks.
Three years after manufacturing began, Train 15 was the latest to reach the end of the production line late this summer inside the 137-year-old shop. Alstom, a French train manufacturer, expanded the complex into a massive operation, so far delivering four train sets that will carry passengers in fall 2023.
On this side of the Atlantic, Alstom uses materials from 250 suppliers in 27 states, in compliance with a “Buy American” rule in its $1.8 billion contract with Amtrak. Power systems such as transformers, pantographs, gears and batteries are shipped from Virginia, South Carolina and New Jersey, respectively. Axles and wheels are made in Kentucky, Illinois and Pennsylvania. The power car shells were built in Michigan.
The company obtained a waiver to import passenger car shells, which are made at an Italian Alstom plant and brought to Hornell — population 8,000 — through the Port of Baltimore. The type of shells being used for the project aren’t produced in the United States, project officials say.
The assembly begins at Station Zero with car body shells. Crews start on the power cars that will tow the passenger cars and install the crash management system, which look like bumpers. The driver’s desk is assembled a few steps away, with cables, plugs and gear shifts visible before installation. The power car is built with a single-pane windshield, eliminating a divider at the center while increasing visibility for the engineer.
 #1622972  by Railjunkie

The assembly begins at Station Zero with car body shells. Crews start on the power cars that will tow the passenger cars and install the crash management system, which look like bumpers. The driver’s desk is assembled a few steps away, with cables, plugs and gear shifts visible before installation. The power car is built with a single-pane windshield, eliminating a divider at the center while increasing visibility for the engineer.

Gear shifts??? Are they 15 or 18 speeds. Will we be required to use the clutch or can we float the gears.