Railroad Forums 

• Allentown - West End Branch LVRR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#711520  by carajul

Does anyone know when the last train ran on the LVRR's west end branch? This branch swung off the passenger main. No trace of it today. The row has been obliterated. You can sort of follow it in that the 100+ yr old buildings along the row kinda are formed around where the track ran.
 #711540  by 56-57

Conrail, 1983ish... There was a thread on this line in one of the forums a few years back.. That's where I learned this myself.. If anyone has better information, please feel free to correct this.

MJK
 #774951  by rwk

This branch used to go to the Ritter and Smith Lumber by 13th/12th Sts. just before the big cemetery. I never saw a train on it when I remember it, probably because Conrail hardly used it toward the end. I was born in Jan 1974, so I only remember Conrail. I remember still seeing track along Sumner Av. in the mid-late 1980's althouh all the crossings were paved over by then. By the 1990's, the track was all gone. Just south of Tilghman St, Walgreens built a store right on top of the ROW several years back. The Rich Mar Florist along Tilghman St. by the ROW near the Walgreens used to be something else, as Rich Mar was originally in the Village West shopping center at Tilghman St. and Cedar Crest Blvd, which opened in the early 80's (1982?) with Giant food store. On the other side of Tilghman by Wally's Deli the track went right through the pavement curving. It's hard to follow the rest of it since some of it has been built upon since the 1980's, etc. Also at 17th and Liberty the track went through were cars now park for the medical offices, there used to be a stone path where the track went, but I think the parking lot was expanded to include the former RR ROW. I still remember when there were crossing signs at Tilghman St. and 17th St. intersection in the early 1980's. I think just simple crossbucks. Also, Ice City used to be there between Tilghman and Liberty, now the one spot is an auto place, and the main store is something else, Namco I think. Also, Ruhe Motors at Tilghman and 15th. was torn down recently for an Auto Zone.
 #776023  by mrobinson

Hi. Relatively new here but lurking for a couple of years.

Know the West End Branch pretty well. The date 1983-ish is probably correct. The City of Allentown bought the ROW from Conrail after service ended. Mostly the purchase was to allow Sumner Avenue to be relocated on top of the ROW. Other pieces got sold off over the years. Tracks were in at least until 1984/1985. Correct that crossings had been removed before. There are still crossbuck bases if you know where to look at some of the crossings like at 13th St. RIch Mar was a pizza place originally and the back of the store is angled because of the RR. Same as the building Wally's is in. The big customer had been Trexler Lumber at 17th & Liberty until it burned around 1979 or 1980. Big, big fire. There was a Hess's warehouse out near there too IIRC. Down along the Jordan Creek, the doubletrack bridge still is there and can be seen from Meadow Street at Allen Street. Under the 4th St. bridge, the ROW is now gone, under rebuilt Sumner Ave. I have some pictures of trains on the Branch, one at 17th & Tilghman for sure.
 #776237  by carajul

So that's why I've never been able to locate the row...Sumner Ave is built on top of it! I'd love to see those pics of a train on the branch. Please post them! Is that why CR abandoned the branch...the lubmer customer at the end burned down?

I've been walking the row on google street map view and yep, with a good eye you can still make out the rr. In several parking lots around 17th St you can see the blacktop is a different color where the rails were torn out. And I've even found some crossbuck bases!

IIRC I read in a LVRR history book that the branch actually didn't just dead end. It made half an S curve at the end, looping back and there was a LCL freight terminal between 12th and 13th Strees at Gordon St just before the West End Cemetary. Some of the freight station buildings are still there today!

The Walgreens drug store is right in the middle of the loop.

UPDATE: go take a look at the Penn Pilot map in 1939 and 1972 they have an aerial right aboe the end of the ROW! It did loop around at a big warehouse, where 4 spurs went into the warehouse, then it went eastward until stub ending at a freight house where there were 6 tracks or so. Compared to present day you can still make out the loop because of retaining walls and small paved alleys that follow the old row. Most of the old buildings are gone and have been turned into parking lots. Heck even the horse track in the fairgrounds is now a circular shaped parking lot. But looking at an arial view you can clearly make out the row in present day. Amazing!
 #777236  by mrobinson

I am surprised at the interest in the West End Branch. If I can scan the photos, I'll try to post. though I'm knew at this.

From what I know, Sumner Ave. sits on top of the Branch from Meadow St to 5th St. The tracks actually crossed Sumner twice, IIRC, once at the 4th St bridge and again around 5th St. When Sumner was rebuilt circa 1990, all of that area was totally reworked and the trackbed was removed. From there, it cut aross 6th St, behind the house at 6th & Sumner, and ran thru Schneider's Scrap Yard, under the 7th St bridge along the stone wall and when it reached 8th St, the tracks were alongside Sumner Ave. The whole length of Sumner from 8th out to 15th St had sidings to reach customers. Some crossed Sumner like at Levine's Textile. At 15th, the tracks swung away from Sumner and climbed to 17th & Tilghman. Yes, you are correct that the Walgreen's sits right on top of where the tracks ran. I think there was a coal yard there a long time ago. The tracks swung around and ran along Scott St, between Liberty & Gordon St all the way to 12th St. I don't know of a freight house at 12th St but some of the Ritter & Smith buildings are still there.

I have heard of a proposal to connect the West End Branch with the Barber Quarry Branch to form a "Belt Line" around Allentown.

While not the West End Branch, how about the "tunnel" under Front St?
 #777392  by carajul

Please get those pics posted! I'd love to see them. Next time I'm in Allentown it'll be an exploration trip for sure.

Yes, I also heard that the LVRR wanted to form a loop around A'town by connecting the WEB and the Barber Quarry branch.
 #777864  by ecm4

This is a great topic, as I always suspected that a railroad ran along Sumner Ave, but having only moved into the area in the mid '90s, I missed it's actual existence.
On Sumner around 10th or 11th street, there is a business (oil dealer?) that looks to have some old stone coal bins on part of the property -- I assume these were probably restocked via the WEB?

mrobinson: are you referring to the railroad tunnel that is now part of American Parkway, or the old stone bridge/tunnel (filled in now) slightly north on Front St that looks like it used to carry a different rail line towards the river?
 #778157  by mrobinson

ecm4 wrote:This is a great topic, as I always suspected that a railroad ran along Sumner Ave, but having only moved into the area in the mid '90s, I missed it's actual existence.
On Sumner around 10th or 11th street, there is a business (oil dealer?) that looks to have some old stone coal bins on part of the property -- I assume these were probably restocked via the WEB?

mrobinson: are you referring to the railroad tunnel that is now part of American Parkway, or the old stone bridge/tunnel (filled in now) slightly north on Front St that looks like it used to carry a different rail line towards the river?
Yes, the "tunnel" is a rather long stone culvert under Front St. The east end top part is very visible but the rest of it has been buried under dirt. That was the LV passenger line that the West End branch came off of. It continued to LV Main and joined it at Gap Junction.

I think you're correct that Morris Wisser did get carloads of coal on those piers. At 15th St, there is a car dealer on the southeast corner and last summer his lot was clear and you could see the rails still next to the building where the big doors were.

Once I have some place to save the pictures to, I will post them. I found a slide of a LV switcher next to the car wash at 17th & Liberty. That car wash is now the pizza place.
 #786046  by one87th

Below are some photos of the branch in the 1980's. Forgive the soft focus... I was a young teenager pedaling my bike and using a 110 Instamatic camera to take these photos. The photos of the NW2 were taken in 1982 or 83, shortly before service ended. The remainder were taken in 1984, after the branch was abandoned. I do not know the exact date of abandonment, but a 1984 Morning Call article states that Conrail advertised to abandon the line in 1981, and in 1984 the city had agreed to buy the 3.4 miles of line (29.9 acres) for $420,000. Conrail was instructed by the PUC to remove the tracks and restore the streets, but the city agreed to assume responsibility.
Attachments:
Conrail NW2 #9244 (ex LV #184) and caboose #18687 westbound at 11th and Sumner Avenue, Allentown.
Conrail NW2 #9244 (ex LV #184) and caboose #18687 westbound at 11th and Sumner Avenue, Allentown.
WestEnd82_01.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 8295 times
Conrail NW2 #9244 (ex LV #184) and caboose #18687 westbound at 11th and Sumner Avenue, Allentow, with empty gondola destined for the United Compressed Steel Co. scrap yard siding. To the right of the NW2 is the former Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. (now the Pennsylvania Supply & Mfg. Co.). Just ahead of the unit was a very sharp curved spur which crossed Sumner Avenue and served a warehouse/distributor (Charles Bell Co.). It was the very last spur added to the line (1950's?) and this customer was serviced frequently up to the end of operations. Some rail/a bumper are still visible next to the building.
Conrail NW2 #9244 (ex LV #184) and caboose #18687 westbound at 11th and Sumner Avenue, Allentow, with empty gondola destined for the United Compressed Steel Co. scrap yard siding. To the right of the NW2 is the former Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co. (now the Pennsylvania Supply & Mfg. Co.). Just ahead of the unit was a very sharp curved spur which crossed Sumner Avenue and served a warehouse/distributor (Charles Bell Co.). It was the very last spur added to the line (1950's?) and this customer was serviced frequently up to the end of operations. Some rail/a bumper are still visible next to the building.
WestEnd82_02.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 8293 times
Looking eastward from 8th street at the siding that crossed Sumner Avenue and ran to the E. Schneider & Sons Iron & Steel scrap yard in Whitehall Township. There was a short spur that branched off the siding and ran to the right of the photo (the scrap yard was located on the site of a former quarry). The siding continued past the rail crane and ran under the Seventh Street bridge.  At one time it ended at a large Koehler Bros. Coal Elevator at 6th & Sumner Ave. (of which there is an excellent photo on page 54 of the book "Whitehall Pennsylvania: the golden strip of the Lehigh Valley" by Kutztown Publishing Co.)
Looking eastward from 8th street at the siding that crossed Sumner Avenue and ran to the E. Schneider & Sons Iron & Steel scrap yard in Whitehall Township. There was a short spur that branched off the siding and ran to the right of the photo (the scrap yard was located on the site of a former quarry). The siding continued past the rail crane and ran under the Seventh Street bridge. At one time it ended at a large Koehler Bros. Coal Elevator at 6th & Sumner Ave. (of which there is an excellent photo on page 54 of the book "Whitehall Pennsylvania: the golden strip of the Lehigh Valley" by Kutztown Publishing Co.)
WestEnd84_01.jpg (285.87 KiB) Viewed 8294 times
 #786048  by one87th

More photos in order progressing west from 7th Street:
Attachments:
The rail crane which serviced the E. Schneider & Sons scrap yard. After the west end branch was torn up this siding remained intact for several more years with the crane remaining active, until it too was finally scrapped and the siding removed.
The rail crane which serviced the E. Schneider & Sons scrap yard. After the west end branch was torn up this siding remained intact for several more years with the crane remaining active, until it too was finally scrapped and the siding removed.
WestEnd84_02.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
Ralph D. Weaver Coal & Grain Co., along Sumner Avenue, looking south from 11th Street towards New Street.
Ralph D. Weaver Coal & Grain Co., along Sumner Avenue, looking south from 11th Street towards New Street.
WestEnd84_03.jpg (193.21 KiB) Viewed 8288 times
Coal pockets of the Ralph D. Weaver Coal & Grain Co., along Sumner Avenue, looking from 11th Street. At one time there was a second  track (runaround siding) behind the track in the foreground, but I could never determine (through maps or old ariel photos) if there was ever a siding that ran up and over the coal bins.
Coal pockets of the Ralph D. Weaver Coal & Grain Co., along Sumner Avenue, looking from 11th Street. At one time there was a second track (runaround siding) behind the track in the foreground, but I could never determine (through maps or old ariel photos) if there was ever a siding that ran up and over the coal bins.
WestEnd84_04.jpg (142.16 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
 #786050  by one87th

More photos:
Attachments:
Looking west from 16th Street crossing. Note recessed spur at left the served the Harold Stephens Co. food wholesalers (now occupied by A-1 Restaurant and Janitorial Supply Co.). Not sure when they ceased utilizing rail service, but I remember boxcars/reefers set off here in the late 1970's.
Looking west from 16th Street crossing. Note recessed spur at left the served the Harold Stephens Co. food wholesalers (now occupied by A-1 Restaurant and Janitorial Supply Co.). Not sure when they ceased utilizing rail service, but I remember boxcars/reefers set off here in the late 1970's.
WestEnd84_05.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Looking back (eastward) at the previous location from West Street.
Looking back (eastward) at the previous location from West Street.
WestEnd84_06.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Spinning around 180 degrees, view from West Street looking west. Track was climbing a steep grade and curved sharply between various buildings as it prepared to cross the intersection of 17th and Tilgman Streets. Note angled loading docks on both sides of tracks, with an old siding crammed in at left. Wally's Deli is currently located in building at very right of photo.
Spinning around 180 degrees, view from West Street looking west. Track was climbing a steep grade and curved sharply between various buildings as it prepared to cross the intersection of 17th and Tilgman Streets. Note angled loading docks on both sides of tracks, with an old siding crammed in at left. Wally's Deli is currently located in building at very right of photo.
WestEnd84_07.jpg (270.93 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
 #786052  by one87th

More photos:
Attachments:
Looking south from 17th and Tilghman (Rich Mar florist is behind me) as track crosses W. Allen Street in background. White angled building in background was once part of a coal yard. The famous Ice City (pools and Christmas decorations) was off to the left of photo.
Looking south from 17th and Tilghman (Rich Mar florist is behind me) as track crosses W. Allen Street in background. White angled building in background was once part of a coal yard. The famous Ice City (pools and Christmas decorations) was off to the left of photo.
WestEnd84_08.jpg (77.03 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
Looking south from W. Allen Street  towards Tilgman Street at the previous photo location (now the site of Walgreens). Note old abandoned spur in the Ice City parking lot (simply paved over with parking stripes painted over). Also note old abandoned switch frog in middle of track. A freight shippers guide from from early 1970s showed Ice City received about a half dozen cars per year.
Looking south from W. Allen Street towards Tilgman Street at the previous photo location (now the site of Walgreens). Note old abandoned spur in the Ice City parking lot (simply paved over with parking stripes painted over). Also note old abandoned switch frog in middle of track. A freight shippers guide from from early 1970s showed Ice City received about a half dozen cars per year.
WestEnd84_09.jpg (333.45 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
Looking north from 17th and Liberty. Spur at left ran to coal yard (angled white building). Area at left is now a parking lot.
Looking north from 17th and Liberty. Spur at left ran to coal yard (angled white building). Area at left is now a parking lot.
WestEnd84_10.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
 #786053  by one87th

More photos:
Attachments:
Looking west from N. Fulton Street. According to a Sanborn Insurance map, the abandoned spur at right once served a Wholesale Grocery Co.<br />Modern building at left was once site of Trexler Lumber Co.'s planing sheds. Beyond 16th Street in background (occupied by Lehigh Valley Hospital building) once once the site of the very large Trexler Lumber Company lumber yard and sheds (occupied an entire city block).
Looking west from N. Fulton Street. According to a Sanborn Insurance map, the abandoned spur at right once served a Wholesale Grocery Co.
Modern building at left was once site of Trexler Lumber Co.'s planing sheds. Beyond 16th Street in background (occupied by Lehigh Valley Hospital building) once once the site of the very large Trexler Lumber Company lumber yard and sheds (occupied an entire city block).

WestEnd84_11.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
Looking west from Madison Street. Scott Street parallels tracks at left. Note unusual planking on spur serving the factory at right.<br />Note: building marked with red arrow was on 14th Street between Scott St. and W. Gordon Street. There was an incredible maze of switches crammed into 14th Street that ran into this building. It did not appear to connect with the West End Branch. I am told this building was a trolley barn. The 4-story building marked with the green arrow was once the A. H. Balliet cigar box manufacturing company. It once produced up to 20,000 cigar boxes per day from cedar wood, including some red Spanish cedar logs imported from Cuba and unloaded by a derrick on the plant property.
Looking west from Madison Street. Scott Street parallels tracks at left. Note unusual planking on spur serving the factory at right.
Note: building marked with red arrow was on 14th Street between Scott St. and W. Gordon Street. There was an incredible maze of switches crammed into 14th Street that ran into this building. It did not appear to connect with the West End Branch. I am told this building was a trolley barn. The 4-story building marked with the green arrow was once the A. H. Balliet cigar box manufacturing company. It once produced up to 20,000 cigar boxes per day from cedar wood, including some red Spanish cedar logs imported from Cuba and unloaded by a derrick on the plant property.

WestEnd84_12.jpg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 8265 times
View looking west towards 13th Street crossing. Ritter &amp; Smith Lumber Yard is building at left. Spur at left continued on towards large off white building at end of brach (see last photo). Abandoned  (no frog) track in foreground and another spur to the immediate right of the lumber piles continued on to flank either side of a loading ramp (see last photo). There were also two more spur tracks extant at this time to the very far right of photo.
View looking west towards 13th Street crossing. Ritter & Smith Lumber Yard is building at left. Spur at left continued on towards large off white building at end of brach (see last photo). Abandoned (no frog) track in foreground and another spur to the immediate right of the lumber piles continued on to flank either side of a loading ramp (see last photo). There were also two more spur tracks extant at this time to the very far right of photo.
WestEnd84_13.jpg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 8265 times