SOCO11 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am
The rail continued along the water to India Point where it crossed the river. You can see the remains of the bridge in the middle of the marina across from India Point Park.
Different line - that was the original Providence entry of the Boston & Providence. It came through East Providence, across that mostly-demolished bridge to India Point, and across the waterfront to Fox Point. The passenger station* was at South Main Street (now where South Water Street is due to street realignments); the steamship transfer point (including the original ferry to South Providence) was at the tip of Fox Point. 1915 valuation map of that line
The tracks on Allen Street ran as far as Globe Street, where the last siding (the former station* location) was on the north side of Butts Street (now gone; slightly south of and parallel to Marengo Street.) As Douglasphil noted, there was also a track connection to the RICo streetcar tracks on Eddy. Such connections were common at the time. 1915 valuation map of Allen Street
* The original B&P station was on India Point, near where the Hilton now is. Not until the line to Bristol opened did Fox Point become a terminal. The original NYP&B station was at Sassafras Cove south of Thurbers Avenue; it was moved to the location near Globe Street within a few years.