Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#587441  by Alcoman

thebigham wrote:^This is a former Staten Island Railway unit. The other unit will be going up on eBay soon.
The other unit is X-LIRR # 407. Both units are in excellent shape. At least one was rebuilt several years ago.
 #587446  by DutchRailnut

Both are on friction bearings however , so no interchange unless their on top of a flatcar.
 #587486  by RS-3

Or they are retrucked, or truckerd out. And despite what most people think, there are still occasional friction truck moves made. (How I've no idea but I've heard both side re it being possible to move friction trucked equipped equipment.)

RS
 #587509  by FCP503

That would be up to the railroad doing the shipping.

Another possibility is to find a set of roller bearing equipped trucks and swap them out. (at least to move the unit) That would still require a crane pic, but wouldn't require the heavy flatcar for a move.
 #587652  by Kuyahoora Valley

The track these engines are on is not connected to the outside world. It runs north-south along the eastern side of Staten Island. It's at least 8 miles to the nearest track. Only way out is truck or barge.
 #599090  by RS-3

Of course they'll have all those New Brunswick East Coast Railway and Ottawa Central Alcos to sell soon.

RS
 #599097  by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:Of course they'll have all those New Brunswick East Coast Railway and Ottawa Central Alcos to sell soon.

RS
Correct RS-3; 27 RS-18's and 7 C424's on NBEC. Many have been rebuilt and some have been upgraded.
 #600259  by scottychaos

Update on the RS18u number 1850 in Owego, NY.
Im working on a new webpage, and have dug up new info on the 1850.
the text in blue, below, is from my new page:
(page not on-line yet..coming soon)

Also, there has been a second MLW RS18u sitting in Owego for many years, the 1850.
which is also still there as I write this. (late 2008)
some on-line rosters list the 1850 as belonging to the O&H, but as far as I know, this has never
been confirmed, and it is generally believed 1850 is privately owned and has been merely
stored in Owego all this time, and is not in fact owned by the O&H.

1850 arrived in Owego along with the 1811 in 1998, and has been sitting there, unused,
ever since. 1850 is still wearing its CP red paintscheme.

Some discussion about the 1850, its owner, and status, (it was for sale in 2005)
can be found here. ("found here" on the webpage is a link to this very thread! ;)
The "for sale" listing said 1850 is owned by "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC"
based in Syracuse, NY.

MLW RS18u 1850.
built May 1957
B/N 81613
1957 - Built as Canadian Pacific 8738
1989 - Rebuilt by CP into a RS18u, nose chopped, and renumbured to CP 1850.
1998 - sold to "Cayuga Railway" by CP on 4/30/1998, arrived in Owego in May '98. - source
2008 - Still stored OOS in Owego, believed owned by "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC" of Syracuse, NY.

2008 - 1850 is wearing the reporting marks "LS" on the side of the cab, which stands
for Luzerne & Susquehanna..the LS and the OHRY are owned by the same people.
Those marks were NOT there in 2005! Which would indicate its likely the 1850 is now
destined to move to the L&S soon.

The reference to "Cayuga Railway" on the CP RS18 webpage is likely incorrect,
and "Cayuga Rail Leasing, LLC" was actually meant. There is no modern "Cayuga Railway".

Taking a look at my photos of 1850 from 2005:
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 8-1850.jpg

and 2008:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/ ... llsize.jpg

I noticed the 1850 is now wearing the reporting marks LS, which stands for Luzerne & Susquehanna.
which perhaps, likely, means that the unit will be moving to the L&S soon.
the L&S is located in Pittston, PA.

thanks,
Scot