Railroad Forums 

• ALCO's Biting the Dust?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#353896  by scottychaos

2005Vdub wrote:It can't be. I took these back in october.
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=162879
cool!
thanks..
then she was dead in June, but back to life in October,
no one caught the "back to life in October" part! :wink:
(at least not in any of the forums I scan for data)

anyone know if 3668 is running now?

thanks,
Scot

#353898  by scottychaos

I found pics of 3668 operating July-October 2006,
(but no pics since October)
so she must have only been briefly OOS when I made the June 2006 update, then I never caught the fact that she was back in service..

ok, here is the updated list as I know it!

Current (January 2007) Cartier unit status, based on my internet research:

3664 - operating
3670 - OOS
3666 - OOS
3668 - operating
3672 - OOS
77 - parts unit
3660 - parts unit
3674 - operating

thanks,
Scot

#354114  by Steve F45

scotty, updated list 3672 was on last nights 99. I think there is another alco sitting down in RP. I'll take the long way to work later and see what it is and update later tonight.

#354782  by BlockLine_4111

Looks like the "smokers" aren't smoking these days, heh?

Smokers = Cartier C636/M636 beasts.

#362762  by BlockLine_4111

Have any of these Cartier units spread or turned over a rail on the "Q"'s fragile track system?

#364190  by U-Haul

I have no factual info about the ALCos having never left the rails. My posts would only be a guess, or an outright fabrication. As of 09:25 19th Feb. 2007, I still have no real, factual information. Famous last words of "The teller of Tall Tales" and the Inquisitor of Inquisitors............ :P

#364900  by Tadman

I'm not expert on Alco trucks, but if I recall, the smokers are equipped with a second-gen Alco C-C truck, while NYSW's had plenty of first-gen EMD flexicoil C-C traffic for the last twenty years. Strikes me if there was damage to be done, the flexicoil would do it before an Alco/MLW second-gen truck.

Now, what does it take for Walter to buy those NS SD9's being retired? I bet those babies pull pretty well for their 1800ish hp.

#365776  by BlockLine_4111

Tadman wrote:Now, what does it take for Walter to buy those NS SD9's being retired? I bet those babies pull pretty well for their 1800ish hp.
SD9's heh? Low speed luggers or catepillars perhaps, one pair gives you 3600HP with 12 axles versus a SD45 w/6 axles.

#365835  by GOLDEN-ARM

Horsepower is great, for keeping the train moving, but Tractive Effort is what gets it going. Those slippery-ass SD-9's, are best suited for small cuts of cars, on light rail. Maybe 4 or 5 of them, might replace a SD-45. Any thoughts otherwise, are pipedreams. Those 1000 gallon fuel tanks don't go far over the road, either. Haven't seen, or run one yet, worth using in road service. Sparta Mountain, and SD-9's? Now THAT would be hillarious.............. :P

#365950  by trainfreak

Sparta Mountain, and SD-9's? Now THAT would be hillarious
Haha and chances are the managers down on the Southern Division would use them as helper units!

#366323  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sounds like a great plan, but "who will help the helpers"?............. :P

#366325  by BlockLine_4111

I still say the "Q" could use GP40s. Their trains are neither long nor heavy. When NJ Transit retires those ex-CNJ GP40PH-2's (4100-4112) I think they would work well on the "Q" especially with their heavy weight loading (unique for these units). Remove the HEP units and restore the dual control stands.

#366339  by Noel Weaver

BlockLine_4111 wrote:I still say the "Q" could use GP40s. Their trains are neither long nor heavy. When NJ Transit retires those ex-CNJ GP40PH-2's (4100-4112) I think they would work well on the "Q" especially with their heavy weight loading (unique for these units). Remove the HEP units and restore the dual control stands.
The Susquehanna is not a high speed railroad by any measure or means
and GP-40's would not really be suitable for their type of operation. What
means more than HP is tractive effort and that either means six motor
units or maybe GP-38's which will really lug with their 2000 HP and four
motors. Fuel wise, six motor units would be better but utilization might be
better with GP-38 type units.
GP-40's can be slippery on heavy grades with heavy trains.
Noel Weaver

#366345  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm right there with ya, Noel, but no mention of the ever-so-useful, dual control stand equipped freight motors? At least BL didn't pine for the original blue and yellow paint jobs, replete with "Miss Liberty" on the flanks...... :P