Railroad Forums 

• ALCO PRIMER

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#591650  by GOLDEN-ARM

Maybe this might become a sticky. Here's a sample of Alco locos, with their specs. Anyone with more stuff to add, links, etc., feel free. ALCO SPECS
 #591998  by Allen Hazen

Yes, I think it would be very useful to have a reference like that available. (At least if we want any NEW railfans to get interested!)

This one needs work. Format is off sometimes (for instance in some a link to the detailed specs is in the "Quantity" column), and some of the information is questionable. If someone with access to Kirkland and Steinbrenner's Alco books (not me-- my coipies are in storage in another country) could sit down with them, I think a fair number of corrections and additions could be made from those two sources alone!

Most American railfans know very little about Alco's export locomotives: I think (since these units have the aesthetic characteristics of the [in general larger] domestic models, a source that would tell them what they are looking at (typically, what they are looking at a photo of) would greatly enhance their enjoyment of the world railroad scene. Export Alcos are a vastly comp[licated world, though! For instance, the Dl-500 "World" locomotive (the export cab unit that looks like a dwarf PA) is not a single type but a family of a dozen or so variants built for different railways around the world. Even within a single country there are subvariants: for example, New South Wales (in Australia) had a hundred (their 44-class), some of which are still in service with new owners. Of these, some had GE GT581 generrators and GE 731 traction motors, while others had GE generators and motors made by an Australian company, and still others had both generators and traction motors from the Australian supplier.

Steinbrenner's book is a very good start on the Alco export diesels. The book is copyright, but perhaps someone could ask him if he would allow a data table on Alco models derived from it to be put up on the WWWeb.
 #592030  by SSW9389

Allen you are too kind. The whole thing is a mess for a serious student of motive power. Production dates are wrong, quantities are wrong, and there are some real differences between the cited sources of Kirkland and Steinbrenner. Data on the pages conflicts with data on first page. I say it's a do over. :(
 #592291  by GOLDEN-ARM

Allright guys, I laid down the challenge!! It's a "starting point", hence the comment "anyone with more stuff..." . How about it, anybody up to posting a decent, accurate listing? Even if it's only model numbers, and totals built, it's a start. Thanks for any inputs..... :-D