Railroad Forums 

• ALCO for Sweden

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#1218419  by Allen Hazen

It's not a standard Alco export design, but the long hood looks similar to that on various Alco export models with 6-251 engines: the hundred+ members of the New South Wales 48 class, for example. (First examples built in the late 1950s, I think.)
The hood looks VERY low, but this may be partly an illusion because the cab is so much higher. It's labeled (on the front view) as being 14 feet 2+ inches tall over the cab roof (not including the horn); eyeballing the diagram it looks as if it is about 11 feet 4 inches over the hoods: I will see if I can find dimensions for the Class 48 and get back to you here if I have anything useful in the way of comparison.
Swedish railways had a number of EMD-engined types. I take it that this was part of an unsuccessful Alco sales effort?