• Alco at Fort Fairfield?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

According to Alcoman of the Alco forum, there is an RS-23 loco at Fort Fairfield, Maine. Has anybody seen this loco, and does anybody know what it's doing there?

by CN9634

Yes I have seen it and have pictures of it! Its former CP and its in a museum! Also there is a CP heavyweight, CN caboose and I think a CAR (Canadian American Railway) 40 foot boxcar. I'll dig up some pics for you and scan em up!

by MEC407

Thanks!

by CN9634

Here are some images taken in August of '04. This was just prior to the reactivation of service on this branch. Actually after they reactivated it they had a bit of an incident. I guess a car or an engine lost its brakes and plowed into the Museum! Nothing was seriously damaged but I guess the heavyweight was knocked off the tracks. Anyways this is what I remember I could be wrong. Oh and theres a BAR speeder off in the woods.

[/img]

by Alcoman

Is the RS-23 serviceable?

by CN9634

Well if you look at the trucks the springs appear to be up pretty high so I say theres no engine, but I don't know. Its just sitting for anyone to climb on...

by oibu

Just an empty shell, but it is nice to see. .. I always try to stop by to visit with this old friend when I'm in the area.

by AVR Mark

The person who arranged to have the RS-23 donated to the museum, Bruce Nett (since deceased) specified that the diesel engine would be removed. Why he wanted that done was and still is a mystery to me.

Mark