Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1529609  by gregorygrice

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:25 pm
superstar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 pm That picture seems to answer the question of who bought them.
Not really. RPI is in California. The only yard there is with the Seaview RR. Until they start heading west, their final destination is unknown.
They don't have to go west to prove they are the owners. They are the owners.
 #1529995  by Tadman

there are pics of two toasters at 4th/Townsend in shrink wrap. I'm guessing they won't be painted as they are not for long term use, but it would be neat to see them painted in some traditional west coast interurban garb, IE Key System, Pacific Electric, Sacramento Northern, or East Bay Lines. Speaking of which, East Bay lines quit in 1941 and I've never seen a color pic, what color were they?
 #1530104  by The EGE

East Bay Electric was famously the "Red Trains".

My photo of 929 and 931 in San Francisco this afternoon:
 #1530143  by gokeefe

Well that was quick ...
 #1530185  by Tadman

The way it's wrapped together, kind of reminds me of one of those Russian or Chinese two-unit motors that are drawbar-coupled together.
 #1530246  by east point

Wonder if Cal Train has to move it once in a while to prevent flat spots on the axels?
 #1530247  by DutchRailnut

flat spots do not get there by just sitting
 #1530271  by ApproachMedium

exactly. anybody who watched the videos of the 15 sent out of bear last month could hear theres no flat spots and those sat for years with new wheels.
 #1530288  by EuroStar

Flat spot develop when a stopped axle is dragged along the rail. Typical causes are malfunctioning brake on a particular axle or slip-and-slide conditions due to leafs or other substances on the rail. Usually cars with flat spots can be easily identified on a moving train by the banging noise they make each revolution. High speed train sets get their wheels checked every night for flat spots as the spots are more likely to cause issues including derailments at higher speeds.
 #1530290  by Tadman

Reminds me of my college years riding the Capitol Limited to DC to meet up with a girlfriend for New Years Eve. Of course I'm in coach, downstairs, and the wheels seem to be the shape of a pizza box. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM all the way up and down the Allegheny Mountains. I wound up sleeping in the basement of the lounge car on a bench.
 #1530315  by gregorygrice

mcgrath618 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm Why are these in Cali? Something about high speed testing?
Initially catenary & electric testing at Caltrans.
 #1530379  by ApproachMedium

gregorygrice wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:45 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:06 pm Why are these in Cali? Something about high speed testing?
By the time they get that far the batteries in the MPUs and AGATES will probably be dead, erasing their software and maaaayyybee ill be getting a phone call! LOL
 #1530424  by scratchyX

ApproachMedium wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 am
gregorygrice wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:45 pm
By the time they get that far the batteries in the MPUs and AGATES will probably be dead, erasing their software and maaaayyybee ill be getting a phone call! LOL
What operating system do they run? Is it in firmware, or off a (now 30+ year old) hard drive?
 #1530479  by east point

ApproachMedium wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 am By the time they get that far the batteries in the MPUs and AGATES will probably be dead, erasing their software and maaaayyybee ill be getting a phone call! LOL
Can those batteries be charged off a 480 HEP connection ? As well if that is the situation shouldn't that have been disclosed in the purchase agreement. ? If so Amtrak might be held responsible if the batteries fail ?