Railroad Forums 

• advice please BNSF conductor trainee

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1301819  by trishbyrd1

I need advice. I have a "qualified" status online. Completed everything. Does this mean I got the job and now just waiting for an offer? This is for glendive mt. Start date is Dec 15 2014.
 #1303019  by COEN77

I'd say you got the job if BNSF gave you a start date of Dec 15th. Not sure of how BNSF does things but you should get all the necessary info a few weeks before that date.
 #1304405  by ljpierce1965

You should receive your final offer right around a point on the calendar about 2 weeks out from the hire date. So if you are due to start December 15th, I would expect to see an email around the first of December. That said, be ready for anything. You may be given less than 2 weeks notice.
 #1304460  by Engineer Spike

I don't know how they do things now, but my class was called on a Friday morning to show up at 1300 that afternoon. They filled out the paperwork for taxes, and insurance. They also got boot vouchers for Red Wing boots. They could then go to any dealer and get some boots. One of my classmates said that he left his old job for lunch, and never came back.

The actual class started on Monday. We got our lanterns, switch keys, radios, and rulebooks. We did basic things like learning how to give hand signals.

We had no definite start date. This position was in IL, and I applied while out helping a friend start a business. Things weren't going well with the new business, so I moved back to Connecticut. They let me slide on the Friday session. I just packed up some things, and headed out to IL for Monday.