Railroad Forums 

• ADM/Great Northern silos-Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1610639  by Fireman43

From the spring 2022 issue of WNY Heritage Magazine.

That issue also has a great article about an RIT students photography project to document area train stations in 1970.

Henrietta, Lima , Lockport, Central Terminal, DL&W and Rochester Junction

Has some great pics of many that are long gone .
Wonder if I can post some giving credit to the source?
 #1610651  by SST

Slightly off topic but have any of you taken the silo tours at Child street? Its amazing and I fiercely recommend it. Here are a couple of pics:
Anybody want to go into a silo and inspect it? Not me!

Tours like this is why I'm so annoyed that the GN is being taken down.
 #1610657  by BR&P

Tell me more. At one time I could have had a tour of the whole ConAgra facility while it was in operation. I never got around to asking for it. :(
 #1610676  by Fireman43

Looking at your picture trying to figure out where you exactly snapped this picture from. Note the railing has in chalk “DO NOT LEAN ON”
I can see the Port if Buffalo in the distance but can’t figure out what part of. The Conagra complex you are..

Been 30 years since I worked at the “American malting- Perot Malting - Fred Koch “ building just to the left of Conagra.
Still find interesting as you look at these elevators all along Child’s Street most are connected by transfer belts to move grain back and forth.
 #1610860  by pumpers

Cool stuff.

I think the photographer is at latitude/longitude 42.862890, -78.863453 . It seems to fit the details in the photo posted above.

Here is a 3D view from Google maps, if the link works right. YOu might have to turn on 3-D view to get it:
https://goo.gl/maps/Zkkj2Fy8GADYsTSU9
The photographer would be in the tower denoted by the red marker near the bottom center, looking SW towards the large port building in the distance.

In case it doesn't work, here is a screenshot. In this one the photographer would be in the tower just above the word "Google" near the bottom middle of the picture.
 #1610916  by SST

I’m not precisely sure where I was standing when I took the picture. I don’t think I was in the crossover but in the “tower” section at the east end of the crossover. I remember scuffling around trying to capture this view. It was my first time touring this silo complex and didn’t really have good positional awareness.

There continues to be construction work down there. Upgrading I presume. I look forward to the next tour.
 #1610935  by Fireman43

Thanks to all for jarring my memory.
Also Interesting when you look at the boatswain chair - the rope is frayed to the point the one side is broken!.
After reading the website on silo city a lot of fascinating documentation of the history in the early days about all the rail spurs feeding the facilities in anticipation of Buffalos continuation as the leading grain transloading Capitol of the US .

Guess a-lot has changed- Now host weddings on the ground floor????

Final note - SST - did you note whether the bin covers on the floor were locked?
Still surprised people can wander around .
However Bet they have the man lift locked out!
 #1626059  by SST

This is all that remains of the Great Northern. The lower half of the southern wall is the only thing standing. I had expected it to be torn down but it seems they've stopped. They have been cleaning up the site so who knows.

#1626085  by SST

Yeah I know its a small picture but its the only option to post with the picture showing rather than just the address its stored on. I wish they would fix the system here so I can go back and retrieve the photo from my phone and post it directly here like before.
 #1626124  by SST

I was using "Upload an Image" which worked great with my iPhone. But all of a sudden, it won't post it. It only works to a certain point. It will take me all the way to Photo Library which I click on the selected photo. It then prompts to "Upload Image Now" which I click on. It looks like it is uploading then,,,,,,,nothing. It just vanishes.
 #1627449  by SST

Still no change but a more up close photo.
Remains of Great Northern Aug 2023
Remains of Great Northern Aug 2023
IMG_1027.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 701 times
 #1628973  by SST

From Ganson St. They are really digging down deep. The “ditch” is between the asphalt and the stone block further back.
IMG_1077.jpeg
IMG_1077.jpeg (4.4 MiB) Viewed 538 times
 #1629515  by Fireman43

IMG_0924.jpeg
IMG_0924.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 417 times
Latest pic from the water by a friend just before he pulled his boat for the season last week .

SST. Not as poignant as your sunset picture
Mark