Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#434503  by ffmike9

Looking for a little help. I was wondering if anyone could provide a customer list for the Adirondack Division just prior to abandonment in July of 1972 or in 1971.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
 #861380  by 3rd out nuthin comin

Mike, this is from memory, so bear with me.

Towards the end, although not specifically 1971, the Adirondack handled coal to the stream plant at Raybrook, LPG (propane) to Saranac and Lake Placid, and finished lumber to Thendara, and Saranac and/or Placid (maybe both--I don't recall.) We did some rare work at JC (Tupper Lake Junction) too, but no recollection today what it was. Oval Wood Dish maybe, but ... maybe not.

I'm pretty sure by the end all the less car load was gone, and it seems backwards to haul lumber into the Adirondacks but we did. I don't remember any loads of anything coming out on the Adirondack side.

You didn't ask about the St. Lawrence side, but we took coal to the steam plant at Marcy, lumber and LPG to Holland Patent, LPG, lumber and feed to Boonville, and empty cars to the mill in Lyons Falls. Paper loads came out of Lyons Falls. The mill generated switching work, even when there were no cars in or out.

The Lake Placid Job didn't handle any work south of Remsen North ("SNOW" on Conrail and MA&N) because the Lyons Falls Job ran with five or six time the frequency.

Todd
 #888534  by kinlock

Benson Mines closed in 1978. Tracks in place because of paper mill in Newton Falls (closed, but might reopen). Railroad owned by Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern (Genesee & Wyoming).
 #892986  by goodnightjohnwayne

kinlock wrote:Benson Mines closed in 1978. Tracks in place because of paper mill in Newton Falls (closed, but might reopen). Railroad owned by Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern (Genesee & Wyoming).
I think the poster was referring to Clifton Mines, near Cranberry Lake, not Benson Mines, outside of Star Lake. In any case, Benson Mines originated far more traffic than Newton Falls. This paper mill really doesn't need a rail connection for the volume of business it has to offer.
 #893298  by Matt Langworthy

kinlock wrote:Benson Mines closed in 1978. Tracks in place because of paper mill in Newton Falls (closed, but might reopen). Railroad owned by Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern (Genesee & Wyoming).
The MA&N is actually owned/operated by Genesee Valley Transportation (GVT), which is a completely separate entity from Genesee & Wyoming Industries (GWI). GVT is mostly Alco powered and headquartered in Batavia, NY. GWI is mostly EMD powered, with offices in Rochester, NY and Greenwich, CT.