Railroad Forums 

• ADA Justice Department settlement

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1562852  by electricron

The 78 remaining stations with issues are:
Exhibit 5 - Issue Stations - Code Station State
ABE Aberdeen MD
ALP Alpine TX
ASD Ashland VA
BNG Bingen-White Salmon WA
BRL Burlington IA
CNV Castleton VT
CEN Centralia IL
CHW Charleston WV
CLF Clifton Forge VA
COT Coatesville PA
CBS Columbus WI
COI Connersville IN
CRF Crawfordsville IN
CRN Creston IA
CUM Cumberland MD
CUT Cut Bank MT
DLK Detroit Lakes MN
DVL Devils Lake ND
DIL Dillon SC
DOW Downingtown PA
GPK East Glacier Park MT
EFG Effingham IL
EKH Elkhart IN
ELK Elko NV
FMG Fort Morgan CO
GNS Gainesville GA
GLM Gilman IL
GSC Glenwood Springs CO
GRA Granby CO
HMI Hammond-Whiting IN
HFY Harpers Ferry WV
HER Helper UT
HIN Hinton WV
HLD Holdrege NE
HMW Homewood IL
HUD Hudson NY
JSP Jesup GA
JST Johnstown PA
KEL Kelso-Longview WA
KWD Kirkwood MO
LAP La Plata MO
LCH Lake Charles LA
LEW Lewistown PA
MAL Malta MT
MHL Marshall TX
MAT Mattoon IL
MAY Maysville KY
MCG McGregor TX
MPR Montpelier VT
MTP Mount Pleasant IA
NRK Newark DE
NEW Newton KS
NSL Niles MI
OSB Old Saybrook CT
PAR Parkesburg PA
PTB Petersburg VA
PIC Picayune MS
PLO Plano IL
PLB Plattsburgh NY
PBF Poplar Bluff MO
POH Port Henry NY
PCT Princeton IL
RTL Rantoul IL
RVR Richmond Staples Mill Road VA
SPM South Shore-South Portsmouth KY
SCD St. Cloud MN
SPL Staples MN
SMT Summit IL
TCA Toccoa GA
TOH Tomah WI
TOP Topeka KS
TCL Tuscaloosa AL
WTI Waterloo IN
WLY Westerly RI
WND Windsor CT
WNL Windsor Locks CT
WIH Wishram WA
YUM Yuma AZ

Amtrak advertising suggests over 500 stations nationally.
If the lower number of 500, 78/500 = 15.6%
If the higher number of 599, 78/599 = 13%
You would think Amtrak should have done much better getting into compliance within 30 years. If they can not get the train to platform interface correct, what makes you think they can get anything correct?
 #1562855  by Backshophoss

Believe most of these stations are unstaffed,and in some cases no building or shed to secure the portable lift machine ,some have NO paved platform at the station site
 #1562867  by BandA

The obvious solution is to close all non ADA stations. Hasn't Amtrak been working hard (and spending millions) on ADA? I have read that Amtrak took long times to resolve issues at RTE 128 ...
 #1562876  by R36 Combine Coach

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:24 pm The DOJ would die if they saw many SEPTA stations.
SEPTA often gets by with mini-high loading, which meets the "one car per train" ADA rule. Those in
North Jersey might know some Hoboken Division stations have a mini-high ramp (at east end only), a legacy
of the Comet I fleet (often a train would be of low door coaches and only the high door cab car would meet ADA).
 #1562881  by Backshophoss

The kicker is some places are owned by the host RR or a disinterested property owner,and that's the problem,
so Mr Moore is right on that Amtrak can do nothing, untill an agreement is reached
That would cover the few Flagstops that still persist.

Route 128 is a MBTA station,with a bunch of issues that were hard to fix
 #1562891  by eolesen

Reality check -- it's far cheaper to put $2M into a fund every couple years to pay out "non-compliance" lawsuits than it is to update those stations.
 #1562892  by shadyjay

My thoughts on a few in the list:

Windsor & Windsor Locks: completely unstaffed stations. Windsor Locks doesn't appear to have any issues. It is targeted for replacement, with a high level platform and such in a new location (at the original location in town).

Old Saybrook: not sure what the issue is here. A station restoration was recently completed and maybe addressed any remaining issues for the building itself. The platforms were high'd back in the naughts, complete with ramps, elevators, etc.

Westerly: now here is a problem. Its one of the only Amtrak station stops that is not staffed north of NYP. In addition it features an under-track "subway" which has stairs at both ends - no elevator/ramp access. Sure, you can get picked up on the platform opposite the station, but that requires some prepping and if you're flying solo, there's no easy solution. As far as the solution itself? Perhaps closing the tunnel and putting in an "up and over".

Montpelier: It does have a low low-level platform, but so do most stations in Vermont. It does have a "caretaker" on duty.
 #1562915  by BandA

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:39 pm The kicker is some places are owned by the host RR or a disinterested property owner,and that's the problem,
so Mr Moore is right on that Amtrak can do nothing, untill an agreement is reached
That would cover the few Flagstops that still persist.

Route 128 is a MBTA station,with a bunch of issues that were hard to fix
Actually, RTE is an Amtrak station. BBY, BOS, Framingham are MBTA. WOR is owned by Worcester, SPG is owned by Springfield.
 #1562919  by Arborwayfan

Ongoing complexity and irony of having the federal government sue a corporation that it mostly owns and whose operating losses and capital investments it mostly funds for not doing work that that corporation couldn't do because of decisions made in DOT budget requests and Congressional budget votes.

I also wonder about a dilemma over which Americans with Disabilities to focus on: Consider that people who can't drive (impaired vision, seizure disorders, some kinds of impaired use of hands and arms, etc.) but who can climb stairs would be better off with more transit and Amtrak service even if it weren't accessible to wheelchair users and other people who can't climb stairs. These transit users would be hurt if the higher cost of high platforms, low-floor vehicles etc meant that new lines/stations didn't get opened or old ones got closed down. Ideally, we'd come up with the money to have a really widespread, frequent train and transit system that was completely accessible, but when resources are limited something has to give. The article seems to be about existing stations where a lift or mini-high would satisfy the ADA regulations, but there are also new stations and new routes to think about. Don't the regs require new stations to have level boarding to all cars, instead of just one or a few mini-highs or lifts? That requirement really could prevent new lines from being built, which would hurt a substantial number of people with disabilities (and people without) and not help anyone. But when I try to lay out this dilemma, I feel like I'm awfully close to dismissing the concerns of people with disabilities (in which category I don't fit), which is not what I mean to do.
 #1562938  by R&DB

Alphaboi wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm Good point, disabled doesn't automatically = wheelchair user. I think alot of people forget that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I totally agree. I personally have a bad lower back, bad left knee and COPD. Stairs are a problem. We just moved (December) from a split-level to ranch to eliminate the stair problem. Since I'm not officially a handicapped person, I don't fall under the federal ADA descriptions. But since I am no longer fully functional, I consider myself 'disabled'. When I was recently considering travel on Amtrak I had to research how to change trains in Newark, NJ Penn Station to avoid stairs.
 #1562940  by markhb

I believe there's new construction underway at Newark DE, but I don't know if it'll fix the platform. That station has a surprisingly low LOS for a college station on the mainline.