Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1559665  by Fan Railer

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:13 am Interesting that sometimes you seeing it running with the front pantograph up and other times with the rear. You never see it like the present Acela with both up.
For the purpose of the testing, they are keeping the same pantograph raised, regardless of operating end changes. This is so that they can validate the dynamic model of the trainset for all potential operating conditions. In practice, the rear pantograph is supposed to be raised in service.
 #1559683  by Fan Railer

west point wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:01 pm well 165 gives the 10% for 150 on that section. Now if Amtrak can get 176 then the 160 becomes possible. BTW how did you find out it ran at 165 ?
They called it out over the radio for one thing. Also, you can roughly calculate train speed if you know the length of the train and the time it takes to pass a set point within the frame of the video.
 #1559807  by electricron

CentralValleyRail wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:09 am Any idea as on when the Liberty will go into service in 2021?

Also what's going on with the NJ HSR 160MPH project Amtrak's project website claims it's finished but I haven't heard a peep about the Acela 1s attaining these speeds in-service...
The Acela 1s are not certified for speeds faster than 150 mph. Acelas 2s are or will be.
 #1559850  by electricron

Matt Johnson wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:31 pm The question is, with the new wire in place, will the Acela Is at least get a bump from 135 mph to 150?
Excellent question, probably better asked and answered on a thread dedicated for Acela 1s instead of this one for Acela 2s. The speed increase in New Jersey has been planned, and tested for the new Acela 2s. Acela 1s will probably have to be tested for higher speeds on this section of track, and I doubt Amtrak wishes to test them as they will be phased out within two to three years. But I am not the chief in charge.
Additionally, if Amtrak were to increase the speeds of the existing Acela 1s in New Jersey, it sort of negates their argument for purchasing 28 new Acela 2 train sets.
 #1559959  by Pensyfan19

Speaking of which, I haven't heard of any construction of a third set, or any more sets for that matter. When will mass construction start for these trainsets? The two have been testing for almost a year now and should prove good enough for NEC service.
 #1560000  by CentralValleyRail

electricron wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:42 am
CentralValleyRail wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:09 am Any idea as on when the Liberty will go into service in 2021?

Also what's going on with the NJ HSR 160MPH project Amtrak's project website claims it's finished but I haven't heard a peep about the Acela 1s attaining these speeds in-service...
The Acela 1s are not certified for speeds faster than 150 mph. Acelas 2s are or will be.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/a ... a/1960423/

Are you sure about that? This article from 2012 seems to indicate that the Acela 1's would be capable...
Fan Railer wrote:
They're saying October 2021 now.
Thanks!
 #1560035  by scratchyX1

Fan Railer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:24 pm The original Acelas were tested into the 170s between HAM and COUNTY. So yes, they are capable of sustained 160 mph operation in NJ.
The impression i was under is that , while they are capable of 160, the extra weight of the accela 1s would cause both tracks and trucks to take a beating.