Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1558014  by STrRedWolf

Fan Railer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:11 am The horn sounds better if you know how to blow it properly; unlike that test clip from Pueblo. Here's a better shot from Princeton Junction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0MNsx105w

Also, tonight, PTC testing in Harold Interlocking; a quick preview below.
KP2021 (PTC test train) diving down line to towards NYP after departing Sunnyside on the first run of the night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y4aAytA_1s
Sounds like they need to tweak the horn so you can just push the button and blow it properly (it needs to be History Eraser big and red ;) ).
 #1558015  by Pensyfan19

I remember Amtrak made a video a few months ago about the development of American horns, and how the high pitched horns of the 1960s sounded too much like car or truck horns and led to more accidents. It wasn't until the 70s when Amtrak made a horn that "sounded like a real train". I think the Avelia Liberty undermines their point with its horn, which it will still has to use since the NEC still has plenty of grade crossings in CT. I'm not sure if the horn will work to its advantage while on the rails and when it matters most.
 #1558041  by Ridgefielder

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 am I remember Amtrak made a video a few months ago about the development of American horns, and how the high pitched horns of the 1960s sounded too much like car or truck horns and led to more accidents. It wasn't until the 70s when Amtrak made a horn that "sounded like a real train". I think the Avelia Liberty undermines their point with its horn, which it will still has to use since the NEC still has plenty of grade crossings in CT. I'm not sure if the horn will work to its advantage while on the rails and when it matters most.
"Plenty" is something of an overstatement. There are only about a half-dozen grade crossings left on the Shore Line in CT. And most of those are in downtown New London and Mystic, where trains are already operating at restricted speed because of stations and curvature. I think the only crossing you'd potentially hit at track speed are Miller Lane in Waterford and a couple of private driveways in Stonington. Remember, the grade crossing elimination effort in CT, like in MA, dates back to the 19th Century.
 #1558052  by bostontrainguy

Many of us got on Amtrak for the unmatched flat-sided power cars. At least they could have run the blue lower stripe onto the power cars to make the transition a lot easier to take. Aesthetics are important to some of us.

UPDATE: I take it all back. The one testing in the northeast does have it!
 #1558099  by Acela150

photobug56 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:36 pm Hopefully before any more trainsets come out, they will fix the issues we see with the squealer / squeaker (alleged horn) and paint job.
Not going happen. Amtrak isn't in the business of pleasing railfans with train horns and paint jobs that railfans want.
While I agree the horn is terrible, as long as it works, that's what matters.
I personally think that the paint job is nice.
I think what's the most annoying aspect of new equipment these days is that railfans find every little thing that's wrong and complain about it. Why can't we as railfans and rail advocates be glad that we're seeing new equipment?
 #1558104  by Pensyfan19

Plenty of crossings was an overstatement on my part when describing the NEC. I'm just worried that pedestrians might mistaken the Avelia Liberty's high-pitched horn for an ambulence siren or anything that's not a train.

I also heard (not sure if this is true) that the set on the NEC now has a Nathan K2, which should be better than the horn it has now.
 #1558148  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:57 pm The Horn from the factory might have been what was "in stock" from Alstrom's warehouse in Europe, possible tha Amtrak didn't spec the horn
Probably an mid-build change order. At least it's no spastic duck.
 #1558285  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:05 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:57 pm The Horn from the factory might have been what was "in stock" from Alstrom's warehouse in Europe, possible tha Amtrak didn't spec the horn
Probably an mid-build change order. At least it's no spastic duck.
This whole thread has me thinking "should Disney pay for a custom wrap for an A2 trainset, to advertise the return of DarkWing Duck?"
Those with photoshop skills.. your homework.
 #1558313  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:16 pm This whole thread has me thinking "should Disney pay for a custom wrap for an A2 trainset, to advertise the return of DarkWing Duck?"
Those with photoshop skills.. your homework.
Disney won't. The pandemic killed their major source of income, the theme parks, so it's tightening it's belt hard.

Even if it could, I doubt it'll wrap an Acela for a show. It'll do a custom deal with Amtrak for a DC to WDW special train... but after building the track to go straight in.
 #1558375  by Ridgefielder

Isn't there some FRA standard for train horns? Thought there was-- and that was what drove the replacement of the Hancock whistles on Metro-North's FL9's in the 90's.