Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1590368  by scratchyX1

west point wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:48 pm According to a document read in the past. Amtrak considers the CAT from PHL - Harrisburg to be the most deteriorated of any of the CAT. That includes overhead. There were several projects planned with the funds just passed. See to remember all were in SEPTA service area. Power for the west CAT past the At Glenn 169Kv transmission line is about at present service. That may be reason some Keystones end up with diesels if there are power problems? Cannot remember for sure but the high voltage to the power station transformer was only 3 - 4 times that of the original CAT power of 11Kv. That would make it as I remember it was 44Kv high voltage???

If that is still true, then Acelas to HAR will need improvements to CAT and available power delivered.
IIRC, that is the oldest CAT on the system, some is over 100 years old now.
 #1590375  by scratchyX1

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am Mr. Scratchy, the New Haven RR's cat predates that on the PRR. The original test section was between Darien and Rowayton and has a distinct style of poles to it.
Oh, Duh, forgot about New Haven, I meant oldest on the Ex PRR. I think that's from 1915.
(I seem to recall some stand alone electrification projects, before the main line)
 #1590395  by mcgrath618

Should the line west of HAR be electrified? Absolutely, and it should be done so with the intention of finishing the job out to the Windy City.

Will the line west of HAR be electrified? Unlikely, at least for the next few decades. The state of PA would never come up with the money to do it; any electrification (and, for that matter, straightening of ROW) would have to be done as part of a massive national HSR project (aka, at the federal level).

As America seemingly pivots towards rail transit again in the coming decades, it remains to be seen if such a project is pie-in-the-sky, or if it has some weight to it.

FWIW the state of PA intends to up the speed limit on the Keystone Corridor to 125 MPH, along with bringing everything from ZOO to PAO up to 90 mph.

PS. Simple math states that a train traveling from Philadelphia to Chicago (a distance of roughly 900 miles) at 225 mph would reach its destination in about 4 hours, without stopping. I'd take that over a plane any day (though I am already a semi-regular 43/29 rider).
 #1590818  by pbj123

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:59 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am Mr. Scratchy, the New Haven RR's cat predates that on the PRR. The original test section was between Darien and Rowayton and has a distinct style of poles to it.
Oh, Duh, forgot about New Haven, I meant oldest on the Ex PRR. I think that's from 1915.
(I seem to recall some stand alone electrification projects, before the main line)
Over the last 15 years, the Metro North New Haven Line has been upgraded to constant tension wire.
 #1591019  by STrRedWolf

A fresh photo from one of the rail groups I'm in off of Telegram:

To which I joked: If you open that front hatch up on the train on the left, you'll see it has teeth big enough to eat Volkswagens. :)
 #1591021  by MACTRAXX

RW - Good comparison picture of both Acela trainsets cab units at NHV - with their red marker lights on...
With your thought about the Acela Two's "nose aparatus" that is why I call them **GATORS** :wink:
Makes me again think of the classic 1956 song "See You Later, Alligator (After 'While, Crocodile)" :-D
(Bill Haley and the Comets)...MACTRAXX
 #1591082  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:54 pm RW - Good comparison picture of both Acela trainsets cab units at NHV - with their red marker lights on...
With your thought about the Acela Two's "nose aparatus" that is why I call them **GATORS** :wink:
Makes me again think of the classic 1956 song "See You Later, Alligator (After 'While, Crocodile)" :-D
I'm more thinking of the worms in Dune... Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. :laughing:
 #1591088  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:11 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:54 pm RW - Good comparison picture of both Acela trainsets cab units at NHV - with their red marker lights on...
I'm more thinking of the worms in Dune... Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom. :laughing:
Yeah, and paint scheme inspired by sting playing
Feyd-Rautha.