Railroad Forums 

• Acela First Class Meal Reviews

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1399391  by danib62

Reviving an old thread: If I took Acela first class early in the morning BOS to NHV would I get breakfast?
 #1399421  by bratkinson

Using a free one-class upgrade coupon received when I made 'select' status, I decided to splurge and take tr 2190 from NHV to BOS about 2 months ago. When I got on, it looked like all the other Acela First Class customers had already eaten. So the attendant only had me and one other passenger to serve. I chose the cheese w/ham omelet and was very much disappointed. The omelet was very rubbery and the potatoes severely undercooked. Even Amtrak dining cars weren't that bad 30 years ago when they cut to the bone! (If you think the dining car fare is bad now, it was far worse about 30 years ago!) If I had actually paid cash to ride in First Class, I would have demanded a refund on the extra charges!

Although I don't have the extra cash to ride the Acela more than once every couple of years, I can assure you, I will NEVER ride Acela First Class again!
 #1399425  by bratkinson

Not a terribly friendly-type person. She was almost non-existent during the trip. I think she made on trip to pick up dishes and one more for coffee refills. Oh, she picked up the cup about RT 128 or so.
 #1399525  by danib62

Greg Moore wrote:You should.

I'll be curious to hear your review.
Not sure I'll be able to share that review as I just discovered I can only use my upgrade coupon within 12 hours of departure and I require a kosher meal which generally requires 24 hours of lead time... Though if it is anything like the last kosher meal I got on the Acela I don't think I'm missing much.
 #1577618  by mcgrath618

Greg Moore wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:02 pm Necromancy this thread:

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ass--64260

I can't wait to get a ride the Acela's again. One of these days!
I’ve been able to ride it a few times between Baltimore and Philadelphia, and once from Philadelphia to New York. Even just business class is amazing.

These food options might even make me consider upgrading my next trip to first class.
 #1577619  by danib62

“Kosher and vegan meals will continue to be available by notifying Amtrak at least 24-hours in advance.”

This part always kills me because if I’m ever in Acela First it’s bc I used an upgrade coupon which can only be redeemed 12 hours in advance.
 #1577638  by STrRedWolf

Okay, press release is at:
https://media.amtrak.com/2021/08/amtrak ... rst-class/

Looking at the menu... hmmm, tempting. I was going to do a day trip up to NYC and back. Apparently if I take the Acela both ways, I have breakfast and dinner covered. :)