Railroad Forums 

• About ALCO C 415's

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#972983  by Mr.S

Anyone see this?

In the October issue of Trains magazine page 17 about mid way the second section on the " Alco's C415 :one survivor " It states that four ALCO C 415's survive what about Buffalo Southern Railroad's ACLO C 415? Along with others that survive through out the US.
 #973071  by scottychaos

yep, trains magazine missed a few.
the five they mentioned in the article are..

1.Columbia & Cowlitz 701 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 701) - operating in Burlington, Iowa. (the only operating C415 today)

2. Southern Pacific 2406 - on display in Mexico.

3. Hamersley Iron 1000 - Pilbara Railways Historical Society, Australia.

4. Monongahela Connecting 701 - RR Museums of Pennsylvania.

5. Chehalis Western 684 - Fife History Museum, Fife Washington.

and at least three they missed:

6. Southern Pacific 2407 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 702) - oos in Iowa with Burlington Junction railway?

7. Southern Pacific 2409 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 21) - oos in Iowa with Burlington Junction Railway?

(the excact status of the two OOS Burlington Junction units is unclear on the internet..looks like they still exist though)

8. Rock Island 423 - Stored near Buffalo, NY, as Buffalo Southern 423.
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... S-C415.jpg

So thats Eight known C415's..anyone know any more?

Scot
 #973100  by traingeek8223

Rock Island 424: abandoned on a siding in Kansas City:

I believe Burlington Junction 701 & 702 are both now in service, the only ones operating in the world.
 #973105  by scottychaos

Thanks Matt!
updated list:

1. Chehalis Western 684 - Preserved at Fife History Museum, as Chehalis Western 684, Fife Washington.

2. Columbia & Cowlitz 701 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 701) - operating in Burlington, Iowa. (the only operating C415 today)

3. Hamersley Iron 1000 - Preserved at Pilbara Railways Historical Society, as HI 1000, Australia.

4. Monongahela Connecting 701 - Preserved at RR Museum of Pennsylvania, as MCRR 701

5. Rock Island 421 - OOS on a siding in Kansas City, currently PLMX 421

6. Rock Island 423 - Stored near Buffalo, NY, currently Buffalo Southern 423

7. Southern Pacific 2406 - Preserved in Monterrey, Mexico, as Fundidora 25

8. Southern Pacific 2407 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 702 ) - oos? in Iowa with Burlington Junction railway. (might be operating)

9. Southern Pacific 2409 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 21) - oos in Iowa with Burlington Junction Railway.

Scot
 #974554  by Alcoman

tgibson wrote:In addition to SP 2406 listed above?
Yes, The SP sold some directly to Mexico.( I am not sure of the number) but at least two were at one time operating at a steel plant down there with one scrapped at some point.
John
 #978799  by BSOR Patarak

To correct the list, the Rock Island 421 is incorrect. It should actually be the 424. It was indeeded painted 421. There was a discussion about this locomotive sometime ago. PLM renumbered it. I have photographs of the cab side detail and the '4' can be clearly seen painted over. The UP ended up with all of the Rock Island 415's when they acquired them. Of course by that point, they wanted nothing to do with the Alcos, especially the 415's. They were sentenced to death on a siding in Sylvis. The Brandon Railroad bought #421, 422, 423 and 424. They utilized 421 and 422 to make 423 and 424 operational. Both 421 and 422 were cut up. The BSOR bought the remains of them when the 423 was purchased through George Hockaday. (I personally moved the electrical cabinets and other components back from Omaha.) The 424 (or 421 as it is shown in some places) appears to be abandoned near Morris Kansas. It sits on a siding that is cut from the main line near an A&K Rail distribution site I beleive. As for the Mexican C415's, the story I've heard from a couple of sources is that there was several SP units scheduled to go into Mexico though they were rejected at interchange for some reason. There is the one 2406 mentioned on display, so at least one made it in. I found a You Tube video that shows one of the steel plants in Mexico and you can see one of the 415's operating in it. When I find the link, I'll post it. It isn't very clear, so locating a number off of it would be impossible as the video wasn't specifically of the locomotive. I'd be curious to learn anything new about the Mexican units too.

Pat Connors
BSOR
 #978803  by scottychaos

Thanks Pat! :)
It appears that after a certain amount of time, we can no longer edit our posts..(why?)
So since I cant edit the last list, I will just have to post a new one:

updated list:

1. Chehalis Western 684 - Preserved at Fife History Museum, as Chehalis Western 684, Fife Washington.

2. Columbia & Cowlitz 701 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 701) - operating in Burlington, Iowa. (the only operating C415 today)

3. Hamersley Iron 1000 - Preserved at Pilbara Railways Historical Society, as HI 1000, Australia.

4. Monongahela Connecting 701 - Preserved at RR Museum of Pennsylvania, as MCRR 701

5. Rock Island 423 - Stored near Buffalo, NY, currently Buffalo Southern 423

6. Rock Island 424 - OOS on a siding in Kansas City, currently PLMX 421 (this is *not* Rock Island 421! see message above)

7. Southern Pacific 2406 - Preserved in Monterrey, Mexico, as Fundidora 25

8. Southern Pacific 2407 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 702 ) - oos? in Iowa with Burlington Junction railway. (might be operating)

9. Southern Pacific 2409 - (today Burlington Junction Railway 21) - oos in Iowa with Burlington Junction Railway.

Scot
 #979005  by BSOR Patarak

Here is the link to that video that shows the #25 at the Mexican Steel Plant.

http://youtu.be/A50-ndHygjE

The engine is visible in the last few seconds.

Also, in the link above to the #25, that page indicates that it is SP #2405. Just to add more confusion, my roster as well as www.thedieslshop.us showed it as #2406. Both of which were reported to have gone to Mexico.
Pat