Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned New Jersey Railroads for movie shoot

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1070871  by Cris67

Hello,

I'm currently in pre-production for a film I'm making that revolves around an abandoned railroad. I was hoping someone could provide a list of existing branch lines and/or long sidings that are abandoned in the New Jersey area, specifically Bergen County. I need the rails to still be intact with various artifacts still in place (relay boxes, switch stands, etc) The rails can be overgrown, although the shoot will be taking place in the November/December timeframe when overgrowth will not be too much of an issue. I see posts for the Carlton Hill Station branch line, but I can't get a clear indication if it is currently being transformed into a rail trail. Also, the Northern Branch north of Northvale is an option. Further, pictures of the Greenwood Lake branch indicate abandoned rail that is still navigable. (I say navigable because I will be laying down dolly track for trucking shots.) Are there any other areas in the Bergen County area besides the three I've mentioned? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Cris
 #1071353  by pdtrains

Is this serious?

1. no major RR is going to give you permission to do anything on property they own, active, inactive, or abandoned, unless you have RR supervisors on hand, etc., etc., It's not 1965 anymore. All large RR's are run by lawyers, and they are WAY more concerned about someone getting hurt on their property, than they care about your film.
 #1071407  by Jersey_Mike

I recommend using the former Boonton Line west of the DB drawbridge. The part out near the Meadowlands is highly isolated and completely disused so you will be unlikely to be bothered if your "production" doesn't involve a fleet of trucks, trailers and catering vehicles.

Check it out.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=40.759483&lon ... =0&m=s&v=9
 #1071487  by Ken W2KB

Sage advice from Trainlawyer. In the past the Black River and Western RR in Hunterdon County has permitted filming on its property. An hour from Bergen, but worth avoiding potential trespass. You may want to contact the General Manager. There is out of service, but not abandoned, trackage that would likely serve your purpose. Contact info at http://www.bdrry.com/
 #1071526  by R36 Combine Coach

Morristown & Erie has been known to work with many film and TV companies from top Hollywood productions, to independents and commercials. The Station Agent was shot along the Dover-Rockaway Branch ROW.
 #1071578  by Ken W2KB

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Morristown & Erie has been known to work with many film and TV companies from top Hollywood productions, to independents and commercials. The Station Agent was shot along the Dover-Rockaway Branch ROW.
A part of it was. The station scenes were on the NYS&W.
 #1071843  by NYS&W142Fan

There is also the BelDel if you need to film and have a river in the background or need other opportunities. Both the Black River or the Bel Del could possibly serve your needs if you are willing to travel a bit further.