Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by BobLI

On my trips to Albany I see a lot of abandoned foot bridges crossing the tracks. Some even end in the water!! Are these from abandoned stations?
Was the ROW much wider in the 40's50's and erosion took a lot of land away?

by DutchRailnut

Most of those bridges went to town owned docks, long gone.
Since the town owns these bridges they can only be removed if the railroad fears they may collapse or otherwise jeopardize the railroad.
These days its easy for fishing people to cross the tracks, take the station overpass and get off platform at Rivers edge, perfectly legal as long as you stay off railroad right of way.

by BobLI

ok thanks, that explains it... I do notice a lot of people fishing along the banks. Looks like the river is very close to the tracks and platforms at some places! Seems like they need to put more fill in, but i guess its a pain with the enviromental laws etc.

i also noticed a lot of ex SPV ? cars at one location being scrapped? What a waste of money.!!

by Lackawanna484

Access to the river remains a highly sensitive issue for MTA and CSX (north of Po'keep). Many towns want access to their riverline, as do fishermen, jet-ski operators, etc.

Doing so in a safe and non-threatening way is the problem

by BobLI

ok, not being from the area i guess we dont see the news etc. concerning the river and access. I do notice some yacht /boating clubs and some seem like the access to them is very tricky. Further up the line it seems like the towns have parks, etc on the river side that seem very nice!

by BobLI

ok, not being from the area i guess we dont see the news etc. concerning the river and access. I do notice some yacht /boating clubs and some seem like the access to them is very tricky. Further up the line it seems like the towns have parks, etc on the river side that seem very nice!

by bingdude

FWIW, the Co-op I live in has a footbridge at the end of the property that still crosses the tracks. There's no floorboards on it so only critters are using it to cross the tracks.

In the deed, it says we own about 2 acres under the river. I am guessing once upon a time there was a dock down there. No sign of it now.

by shlustig

At one time during the PC / early Conrail era, we had a program for removing the derelict footbridges that crossed the Hudson Line. IIRC, both the GCT and Harmon wreckers were utilized to swing the bridges parallel to the tracks after they were cut loose. The work was done on weekends. Most of these instances went smoothly, with only minimal delays to the scheduled weekend trains.

However, there was one occasion where the weight of the span was not centered and the wrecker had to drop it across all 4 tracks. No damage to the running rails, and only slight interruption of the 3rd rails.

Unfortunately, not all of the landowners were like the Astors who daylighted a hillside, built a tunnel, and had the railroad re-aligned through the new tunnel so that they would have unimpeded access to the riverbank.

by BobLI

please do tell more about the Astors and that project. What town was it in. It does sound very interesting, Ive never heard that before!

by Rockingham Racer

Is the one at Breakneck Ridge still there? And if so, is it usable?

by DutchRailnut

Breakneck has new bridge including a railfan platform :-)
it was installed a few years back.

by shlustig

BobLI,

Astor's Tunnel is the one between Rhinecliffe and Barrytown.

by mainline

I haven't been to Breakneck since the summer of 2001. Very good views of north and southbound runs. Is that the new bridge your talking about Dutch or was it replaced since then?

by DutchRailnut

It was the new bridge then .

by harmon44

I don't think a foot bridge was dropped by a wrecker. If it happened it occurred after 1975. The harmon hook did not stay in service too many years past 1975. It last use was around 1981 and that was un-official.