Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned, Derelict, or Parts Supply Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#409556  by Alcoman

I think that the D-L owns her.....We can rebuild her! :-D

#409679  by Luther Brefo

Alcoman wrote:I think that the D-L owns her.....We can rebuild her! :-D
I thought the DL bought the 6101 which as I understand is far from derelict.

Image This image is of the 6101 in a previous life before being sold to the DL.

#409743  by Alcoman

The 6101 WAS purchased by the D-L. I was only kidding about the parts unit being rebuilt. It was reference to the opening scenes of a TV program: The 6 Million dollar man,

I think that the DL does ave rights to the Generator in that parts unit. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this. :wink: :wink:

#409866  by scottychaos

A whole bunch of them!

BSOR 84 - Alco S2 - Eden, NY - ex SB.

ex Adirondack 28 - Alco RS3 - Eden, NY

NYLE 62 -Alco S2 - Gowanda, NY - ex Falls Creek 62

NYLE 5067 - Alco C425 - Gowanda, NY - nee PRR 2431

NYLE 9067 -Alco S4 - Gowanda, NY - ex B&O 9078

DLWR 3603 - Alco RS11 - Lancaster, NY - ex CV 3603, nee DWP 3603

ex D&H 4126 - Alco RS3 - Colonie, NY

ex D&H 3011 - Alco S2 - Colonie, NY

Ex LIRR 417 - Alco S1 - Colonie, NY

Ex WM 302 - Alco FA-2 - Colonie, NY

Saint Lawrence Railroad #1 - Alco S4 - Norfolk, NY - ex D&H 3048

ex LV 150 - Alco S2 - Calla, KY

Alco C424 - stored at NRE - Ex-Minnesota Commercial - Ex D&H 462 nee EL 2405 -

Alco C424 - stored at NRE - Ex-Minnesota Commercial - Ex D&H 463 nee EL 2408

the two C424's above are in danger of being scrapped.

and lots more, depending on how you define derelict/abandoned.
(no locomotive is really literally "abandoned"..someone owns it..
so thats not the best word to use..perhaps a better way to define these engines would be:

derelict condition
(and/or)
not preserved
(and/or)
parts unit
(and/or)
in danger of being scrapped

more details on the engines listed above:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... Survivors/

Scot

#409875  by Alcoman

scottychaos wrote:A whole bunch of them!

BSOR 84 - Alco S2 - Eden, NY - ex SB.

ex Adirondack 28 - Alco RS3 - Eden, NY

NYLE 62 -Alco S2 - Gowanda, NY - ex Falls Creek 62

NYLE 5067 - Alco C425 - Gowanda, NY - nee PRR 2431

NYLE 9067 -Alco S4 - Gowanda, NY - ex B&O 9078

DLWR 3603 - Alco RS11 - Lancaster, NY - ex CV 3603, nee DWP 3603

ex D&H 4126 - Alco RS3 - Colonie, NY

ex D&H 3011 - Alco S2 - Colonie, NY

Ex LIRR 417 - Alco S1 - Colonie, NY

Ex WM 302 - Alco FA-2 - Colonie, NY

Saint Lawrence Railroad #1 - Alco S4 - Norfolk, NY - ex D&H 3048

ex LV 150 - Alco S2 - Calla, KY

Alco C424 - stored at NRE - Ex-Minnesota Commercial - Ex D&H 462 nee EL 2405 -

Alco C424 - stored at NRE - Ex-Minnesota Commercial - Ex D&H 463 nee EL 2408

the two C424's above are in danger of being scrapped.

and lots more, depending on how you define derelict/abandoned.
(no locomotive is really literally "abandoned"..someone owns it..
so thats not the best word to use..perhaps a better way to define these engines would be:

derelict condition
(and/or)
not preserved
(and/or)
parts unit
(and/or)
in danger of being scrapped

more details on the engines listed above:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos ... tives.html
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... Survivors/

Scot
Hold on Scott....Some corrections>>>>
The WM 302 is neither abandoned or in danger of being scrapped.
The 2 Albany Port Alcos are not abandoned either.
the 2 C424ms may have been sold. I am still trying to confirm that.
John

#409920  by scottychaos

Alcoman wrote:Hold on Scott....Some corrections>>>>
John
well, like I said, "abandoned" isnt a good word to use, because most locos are owned by someone..

Is something being done with the 2 Albany Port locos?
I hadnt heard anything new..

Take, for example, the locos owned by the M&H chapter NRHS.
the Electric engines and the U25B at the power station, south of Albany.

yes, someone technically "owns" them..and the owner is even technically a historical society!
but...

derelict condition - yes

not preserved - VERY not preserved..the fact that the owner is supposed to be a "RR historical society" does not automatcally make these engines "preserved"..

parts unit - no, but irrelevant in this case.

in danger of being scrapped - if nothing changes, yes.

the definations are fluid..the owner doesnt really matter..
any group can say they have bought a diesel for "preservation"..
but if they buy it, then its sits in a swamp for 20 years, and is then scrapped, was it ever really "preserved"?? no, not really.

from my perspective, if that WM Alco FA is still sitting in Colonie, it is worthy of being on this list.."good intentions" dont always save an engine! ;)

If they bring it to Maryland, paint it up and put it on display at a museum, then I will change my mind! :wink:
nothing against that group..I know nothing about them..all im saying is that the unit cant really be said to be preserved *right now*..
I hope it will be!

whats up with the Albany port locos??
again..it doesnt really matter who owns them right now..
unless they get hauled out of Colonie yard and someone starts working on them, they are in HUGE danger of being scrapped..

dont automatically assume an engine is "preserved" just because someone says they intend to preserve it! ;)

Scot

#410171  by traingeek8223

What ever became of the ex. Minn. Comercial RS3's (3) and C424 traded in to NRE?

#410235  by Alcoman

scottychaos wrote:
Alcoman wrote:Hold on Scott....Some corrections>>>>
John

from my perspective, if that WM Alco FA is still sitting in Colonie, it is worthy of being on this list.."good intentions" dont always save an engine! ;)

If they bring it to Maryland, paint it up and put it on display at a museum, then I will change my mind! :wink:
nothing against that group..I know nothing about them..all im saying is that the unit cant really be said to be preserved *right now*..
I hope it will be!

whats up with the Albany port locos??

Scot
I will try to answer your questions Scott.
The FA while owned by the WMRyHS, will be leased to the West Virgina Railroad Museum. The plan according to sources I have say that the locomotive will be shipped down to Virgina as soon as the air brakes are repaired. Once down in Virgina, the locomotive will under go a complete rebuild to make it operational again.

Regarding the Albany Port engines. There is something in the works for someone to acquire the RS-3 and lease it to a tourist railroad. Too early to reveal details as it is in its early stages.

Don't assume that nothing is going to happen to railroad equipment just because you don't see anything happening. There is always behind the scenes activity that you don't hear about.

#410241  by scottychaos

good news!
thanks A.M.!
Don't assume that nothing is going to happen to railroad equipment just because you don't see anything happening. There is always behind the scenes activity that you don't hear about.
wellll..maybe there is (sometimes, seldom,) behind the scenes activity that you don't hear about. certaintly not "always"..

Scot

#410247  by pablo

I remember recently there was some discussion that a former member of t he Mohawk group sold couplers off of the units.

Am I wrong? If I am, I apologize...but, assuming this is the case:

That demonstrates how there is little concern for these units and they will likely be scrapped secretly so that someone can get the money for them, again, secretly.

Dave Becker

#410285  by ATK

scottychaos wrote:the definations are fluid..the owner doesnt really matter..
any group can say they have bought a diesel for "preservation"..
but if they buy it, then its sits in a swamp for 20 years, and is then scrapped, was it ever really "preserved"?? no, not really.
Scot, well said!

The most important factor for the equipment in Colonie is, who owns the property that the equipment is sitting on(?) I certainly don't think that its the M&H group. All of that equipment is in danger the moment the property owner decides to take action to reclaim that land. And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that stuff sitting on disconnected track???

As for the WM FA, seems like that plan has been in the works for at least 8 years now, if not longer.....

#410287  by oibu

Don't forget that there is the ex B&M/D&H RS3 at Colonie as well.

As for "abandoned"... for all practical purposed the units at COlonie and at teh Port of Albany are all derelict, unrestored, untouched in decades... so if something is "in the works" I hope it's happening soon! Otheriwse it's just the same stuff that's been "in the works" for 20 years.

Regarding the coupler removel... my understanding was it sounded like an unauthroized poorly executed butcher job and all they did was cut through the coupler shank, not even remove a usable coupler. To me it sounded like some unscrupulus railfan wanted a "souvenir" to mount over his fireplace...

#410290  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:I remember recently there was some discussion that a former member of t he Mohawk group sold couplers off of the units.

Am I wrong? If I am, I apologize...but, assuming this is the case:

That demonstrates how there is little concern for these units and they will likely be scrapped secretly so that someone can get the money for them, again, secretly.

Dave Becker
Let's be careful here...No one accused any former member or for that matter any current member of that group of taking the couplers. What was said is that at the time,there was an ad in RailSwap shows up about the same time that the couplers were missing. nuff said.
The couplers are missing from the Port of Albany S-2 and the former B&M RS-3 that sits down there.