Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1238725  by Tadman

That was really cool, thanks for sharing. I work for a startup so I have a very limited travel budget, but the Canadian is on my short list. I especially like how nice it looks inside. I appreciate that it's not overwrought luxury, but nice nonetheless. The tan seating surfaces look very warm and inviting.

Is it nuts that I want to travel the Canadian in the winter rather than summer, too?
 #1238741  by NS VIA FAN

Tadman wrote:That was really cool, thanks for sharing. I work for a startup so I have a very limited travel budget, but the Canadian is on my short list. I especially like how nice it looks inside. I appreciate that it's not overwrought luxury, but nice nonetheless. The tan seating surfaces look very warm and inviting.

Is it nuts that I want to travel the Canadian in the winter rather than summer, too?
There’s no reason at all to pay full price to ride the Canadian. If you’re a bit flexible with dates.....there’s a deal out there! I could have had a Cabin for 1 (old style roomette) for $800. That’s 4 nights on the train with all meals included but splurged for the Cabin for 2 (bedroom) for $1200. Regular fares would have been double those.

I’ve been on the Canadian in both summer and winter.....and winter is my favorite time to ride. Just a lot less crowded and there’s nothing like a warm train rolling through a snow storm......or up in the dome on a moon-lit night after a fresh snow fall!

And you’re from Chicagoland so should be able to handle a walk around Winnipeg or Jasper in winter while the train is serviced.....and Vancouver should seem balmy (they golf year ‘round most years!) :)
 #1238990  by marquisofmississauga

NS VIA FAN wrote:Check out my Winter Ride On The Canadian (with photos) over at the Trip Report Forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5&t=153929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the trip report and the excellent photos. I'm pleased to read that the meals haven't been downgraded like those on the corridor Business Class (formerly VIA 1) service. Off-peak is my favourite time to travel on the Canadian, but I no longer take it in the central part of winter. I prefer late Nov. or late-March or April. The lack of daylight is one reason and the fact that the train is usually late means that the limited viewing-time of the mountains when going west is affected. That has happened to me a few times. If it is a clear night the view from the darkened dome or one's room can be interesting, but I have had a few westbound trips when I haven't seen a mountain. During a January trip I took many years ago the only daylight in the west was between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If going one-way by train the viewing possibilities are better eastbound by train.

If I'm comfortable I don't care how late the train is unless I have close connections, but I wouldn't make tight arrangements even in good weather. This isn't a criticism of VIA. I'm well aware that most major delays are beyond VIA's control. Over 40 years ago we took the CPR's The Canadian to Vancouver and made a same-day connection with an ocean voyage. There is no way I would ever chance that these days.
 #1239211  by Tadman

NS VIA FAN wrote: And you’re from Chicagoland so should be able to handle a walk around Winnipeg or Jasper in winter while the train is serviced.
It's freakin brutal out there today. Something like five degrees, but the wind chill has been around zero all day.
 #1239743  by XC Tower

Well done, NS! Thank you for sharing!
Seeing the photos brought back memories of my trips on "The Canadian". What a train! Both the CP route and the CN are beautiful.
Reading Hornepayne, Ontario brought back my first introduction to a northern Ontario resident: the black-fly. While standing there, this swarm of black insects just keep flying around me. I asked someone what they were. When they said "black-flies", my thought was "Uh-oh", but I didn't seem to be getting bit, so maybe for some reason I wasn't on their menu.....Well, once back on the train, I found out otherwise: pulling up one of the legs on the shorts I was wearing to see what was burning, I discovered that a red chunk of my flesh was missing! One of the little beasties must of got enough for all of its buddies to go!!!

XC