Railroad Forums 

• A real railroad in a Thousand Oaks, CA yard?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1352342  by mirrodie

I was discussing a trip Im taking when a friend mentioned taking a drive (we'll be in LA)

Look at the coordinates below. Apparently, this guy has his own REAL full scale railroad on his property, along with what looks like a few fire engines. Has anyone here ever seen or heard of this?!

34.229566, -118.910796
 #1356300  by the trainguy

I was intrigued by your discovery so I did a little digging.

It does indeed look like Ward Kimball's personal RR.

There was a company that did a documentary film shorts back in the late 30's and early 40's called "Unusual Occupations".

The 1944 Episode Four edition highlights his railroad.

http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/30 ... er-private" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty cool that it's still intact although who knows for how much longer.

Bob