Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by 4 Express

What is the current status of the Budd SPV's right now? Are there any left on Metro North rails? Thanks.

by NJD8598

I don't know what happened to all of them, but I do know at least some were converted to passenger cars and are used on SLE. All the engine components were removed and they serve like any other car.

by Otto Vondrak

None are operational in their original operating state... some were converted by ConnDOT into demotored trailers (effectively making them similar to Amfleet coaches) for Shore Line East (not sure if they are still used there). The ones that MTA owned were sitting derelict in Croton for years... I heard once that the NYSWTHS considered purchasing them... not sure what came of that.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

A few of MNCR/MTA cars went to West springfield safety train, some were scrapped I believe.
yes the 12 remaining CDOT/Amtrak units are still inservice at SLE as coaches/cabcars.

by emfinite

Otto, I heard that too last year, but I'm not sure if the deal actually happened. I heard they were supposedly getting 6 cars for $20,000, but that could have been a load of crap.

Joe

by huntersails23

sitting in the croton north yard.

by 4 Express

Thanks to those who answer.
BTW, hunter, that's great since I might be able to see tham at the open house.

by The RailMan

4 Express wrote:Thanks to those who answer.
BTW, hunter, that's great since I might be able to see tham at the open house.
Usually the SPVs are on the RIP Track, but at last years open house there were two SPVs sitting right there, and I grabbed a few photos while I could. My understanding was that they were so close to the yard was because they were heading out of the yard, as to where they were going I don't remember. I think they were going to a museum somewheres.

by DutchRailnut

Those were the two that went to West springfield safety train in Masachusets.
The SPV's if any remain are in the boneyard at Croton North.
thats the Croton East yard opposite the CSX yard.
I don't know if that is what you mean by RIP track but RIP track is Repair In Place, and has nothing to do with dead cars.

by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:The SPV's if any remain are in the boneyard at Croton North.
As of two days ago, they were still there at Croton North.

Nester

by pnaw10

I took some shots of the SPV's visible from the Croton yard at last year's open house. They were submitted to, and accepted by nycsubway.org.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?40571
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?40570

I also had some pictures of the SPV's on the dead track, but either I didn't submit those or they decided not to use them. (Admittedly, they weren't so great, as I had to take them through the window of the fall foliage train as it passed by the SPV's.)

If anyone's interested in other SPV photos, I could post them on my Webshots site or something.

by 4 Express

For the first time in real life I saw the SPV's. To me if they would be refurbished well they can go back to doing revenue service.

by DutchRailnut

The SPV's use to blow an engine every two or three months, besides if you saw the interior you never want to go near them again.
some of these cars had about a foot of pidgeon and racoon shit in them.
they were stored in East yard and often left open by railfans and bums.
No matter how many times all doors were closed and windows put back in.
There only one way to go with these cars , to the torch.

by 4 Express

DutchRailnut wrote:some of these cars had about a foot of pidgeon and racoon stuff in them.
That's enough for me Image.
Plus compared to the Comet IA's I saw in Port Jervis in pics, the SPV's don't really look that bad.