Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#204738  by doepack

In addition to the new schedules going into effect for the three new starts, other minor schedule changes for UP-NW, UP-N, and MD-W will also be going into effect on January 23. A recap of the changes:

UP-NW/UP-N: Several inbound (particularly on UP-NW) and outbound rush hour trains have had their schedules adjusted +/- a few minutes, to better reflect actual running times based on passenger loading patterns. The only other notable change for each involves an additional stop at Fox River Grove for UP-NW train 607, and a stop was added at Rogers Park to UP-N train 343, which now leaves OTC two minutes earlier at 1743.

MD-W: Tweakage is a little heavier here, with many inbound rush hour trains departing 2 to 3 minutes earlier, to better coordinate with the NCS expanded service. Other notable changes included train 2230, which now departs Big Timber 6 minutes later at 0936, and train 2245, departing CUS 4 minutes later at 1804. Curiously, 2219 was not moved back 10 minutes to a 1330 departure, even though NCS's early afternoon departure will now depart CUS at 1300, don't know why that wasn't changed back to keep all midday departures on the :30.

A note for timetable collectors: This will likely be the final MD-W schedule to include stations at Hermosa and Cragin, which are doomed to history once the new Cicero station opens later this year.

No changes were made to weekend service.

#204765  by F40CFan

That's interesting, I was wondering what they were going to do with Hermosa and Cragin. However, they seem to be taking their sweet time building Cicero so Hermosa and Cragin might be safe for a while.

#204807  by metraRI

Is there any track work involved with the Grand/Cicero Station? From the times I have riden past, it looks as if they are building a new bridge for another track.

#204863  by EricL

metraRI wrote:Is there any track work involved with the Grand/Cicero Station? From the times I have riden past, it looks as if they are building a new bridge for another track.
I think someone on this forum mentioned, somewhat recently, that a fourth track was being added to help accomodate freight traffic.

#204963  by doepack

I think I remember MikeF commenting about this a while back, maybe he can fill in the blanks...

#204976  by MikeF

MikeF commented on this? *scratches head* :P Hmm, I can't say I know exactly what's going on with track work down there. I've been out of the area for a little while so I may be out of date, but I think there is some track work being done at Cragin Junction, possibly including, as EricL mentioned, the addition of a fourth track to help accommodate freight trains entering and leaving the Belt Railway.

#205265  by F40CFan

Actually I commented on it in a different thread.

Its kind of hard to explain without a diagram, but I'll try;

They are building an embankment on the south side and have added a switch to the freight track. They also have a support in for a bridge on that side.

It looks to me as if they are going to run a through freight track behind the new south (inbound) platform to connect with the Belt Railway so the freight trains will not foul the 3rd passenger main.
 #206489  by metrarider

doepack wrote:
UP-NW/UP-N: Several inbound (particularly on UP-NW) and outbound rush hour trains have had their schedules adjusted +/- a few minutes, to better reflect actual running times based on passenger loading patterns. The only other notable change for each involves an additional stop at Fox River Grove for UP-NW train 607, and a stop was added at Rogers Park to UP-N train 343, which now leaves OTC two minutes earlier at 1743.
I also noticed that UP-N train 335 has an extra stop in Ravenswood but no change to OTC departure time, but 2 minutes added to subsequent stops