Railroad Forums 

• A German Railfan goes to Kansas (vacation tips anyone?)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#506725  by WileeCoyote

Hey everyone

For some time now my mom has been planning to take a two week vacation in Kansas in the latter half of March, mostly the Wichita and Leavenworth area. Since I'm going to be tagging along as well I figured I'd do some railfanning around the area.

Since my knowledge of what there is to see railroad wise in Leavenworth and Wichita is relatively lacking (make that "not a clue"), I thought I'd come here and ask about it.

Mostly I'm looking for good places to take photographs since my assemblage of railroad pictures is relatively lacking in the American section. But I'm also looking for anything else railroad-wise that would be worth visiting. So far I'm planning to make a visit to the BNSF yard Kansas City (the one on Argentine Blvd), but outside of that I still need some ideas :P

Any help would be appreciated.

Viele Grüſʒe,
Fritz
 #511707  by 2nd trick op

Leavenworth, site of the notorious and still-active Federal penetentiary that once housed Robert "Birdman of Alcatraz" Stroud, is located on the west bank of the Missouri about halfway between Kansas City and St Joseph. During the 1950's it was served by at least four railroads, but activity here has likely diminished due to mergers, as was also the case in St. Joseph.

Kansas City has plenty of activity, and the place you might want to start would be the former Union Station which adjoins the BNSF main and is slowly evolving into a museum.

Here's a link: http://www.unionstation.org/intro.cfm

Omaha is about 100 miles north if you can invest a day to check out the Union Pacific. Company HQ at 13th and Dodge has a small museum, but it's directed at the general public rather than rail hobbyists.

The UP main is "split" in western Iowa and eastern Nebraska. Eastbound moves enter Omaha proper via the former UP main mostly paralelling I-80 and US 30, but the westbounds cross on an impressive bridge on the former Chicago and North Western at Blair, another 15 miles further north.

Wichita is no longer located on any major rail line, but the BNSF's former Santa Fe main crosses the state about twenty miles to the north, via Emporia and Newton. UP also moves considerable traffic on the former Southern Pacific/Rock Island "Golden State Route" via Herrington.

One afterthought:

As you are probably aware, the events of 9-11-01 hve heightened security around some American rail facilities. This appears to be more of a concern around the passenger-oriented lines here in the Northeast, but there may be places where you could encounter railroad security, particularly around the major yards.

On the other hand, some rural areas near known rail "hot spots" have a better understanding of railfans; a few actually provide small park-type settings; the C&NW bridge at Blair cited above is one of them.

You might want to contact the local chapters of the National Railway Historical Society in places you plan to visit. Here's another link:

http://www.nrhs.com/chapters/index.html

#519323  by rwallace2fan1

if you want to see trains, kansas city will give you your fill worth. In leavenworth, right downtown by the river UP's falls city sub runs right next to the river. i estimate at least 30 trains a day since is serves all north bounders to omaha, and all westbounders to marysville. lots of empty coal manifest. union station in kc would be great since everybody comes by there, up bnsf amtrak. further west lawrence depot gives a good vantage point for up trains. take i-70 east from leavenworth to the first lawrence exit. turn left, and when you go under the tracks, turn left to depot. hope this helps.

#520117  by lakeshoredave

I'd go to the UP mainline in Nebraska for shear volume.

In Kansas City you've got Santa Fe Jct. Thats an outstanding spot from what I hear.

#520564  by Tadman

Be careful in Argentine. I wouldn't call it "dangerous", but as a foreigner, you are an easier target. Across the river is Armordale, another place with lots of trains. In Baldwin there's a tourist railroad.