• A Couple of Old Steam Shots - B&A/NYC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by 3rdrail

For your viewing pleasure - Here's a couple of original prints given to me by my late aunt when I was a wee buff. Originally from Boston, she went with her husband's business to Hudson, NY, so I would not be surprised if these shots were in that general area, possibly taken by her sons, my cousins, circa mid-'50's (?)
I also came accross some interesting traction, which I'll place on the "Forgotten Trolleys & Interurban Lines Thread", as well as what appears to be a Budd-Liner fan trip on the B&M - that will go to the B&M thread. Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by rlsteam

Great photos -- I am guessing they come from 1940 or before, though, because they have the older-style lettering, not the Gothic lettering that was introduced around that time.
  by k9bucket

Not positive, but having grown up in the Hudson area, I'm pretty sure the first/top photo could very well have been taken on the branch line leading to Claverack (through Greenport and past the Lone Star Cement Plant- now ADM grain), with the Hudson Line in the far left of the photo. The buildings in the background appear to be those on Allen St, and the building behind the tender (a bit hard to discern) looks like the lumber company that was immediately to the west of the tracks (Hudson Line) If you look at the satellite image (courtesy of 'google maps') you can see the large building with the 'complicated' rooflines (directly in front of the locomotive's headlight) on Allen St (between Allen St and Partition St), midway between S 2nd St and Front St. I remember watching trains there as a kid in the Penn Central days, then into the ConRail days, and spent a lot of days sitting on the loading dock of that lumber company. The combinations of motive power and passenger equipment was colorful and diverse, to say the least.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
  by Eliphaz

cool beans! thanks for sharing. you've got a nice scanner, the image quality is superb.

Some people think a feedwater heater on the front end detracts from the look of an engine, but I like em.