Railroad Forums 

• 69th street-North Bergen

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1203938  by Steve F45

its still being worked on. They are now prepping the roadbed on the east side of westside ave. Sewers have been raised to about 12 feet high for when the roadway is that high. Metal pilings have been jammed down to for the super structure.
 #1243785  by NJTram

Estimated to cost $67 million in 2005, funding's been sporadic. In 2006, was announced that $38 million had been allocated for the project. Approval for construction was given in 2007 and ground was broken in October 2008. NJDOT allocated multi-year funding for the project in its Capital Program: $10 million in 2009, $15 million in 2010, $10 million in 2011, at which time remaining construction costs were estimated to be $55 million. Work in 2013 may have been from last round. No funds were committed in 2012 or 2013. The HBLR Northern Branch is planned to run on new viaduct between CSX North Bergen Yard and NYSW track, so maybe they are waiting for final EIS and/or design for that. 69th St Bridge will have to travel over at-grade freight and elevated light rail, so the height and subsequent incline of the overpass will be pretty severe unless they more subtly arc it from Tonnelle to West Side.
 #1254412  by northjerseybuff

Seems as the support columns are being built. It probably won't take much longer to complete this project. Especially once the weather breaks. I would expect it to be done mid-2014 assuming there are no other issues
 #1308371  by Steve F45

The steel i beams are in place and over the tracks only at this point. This is oen of the slowest projects i've ever seen. I think this company underbid big time and din't realize the true cost, how else could you explain how slow its going. The concrete approaches oon either side haven't even been built let alone a foundation/supports put in unless they've done all this in teh last week.

And the bridge, im not sure how it's going to look when finished, but the roadway looks arched and not flat like most of the bridges that replaced the other at grade crossings to the south.
 #1310823  by Steve F45

here's a pic i took before the end of the year showing the extent of the work. no work has been done on either approach. I would hope that the approach from tonnelle ave will not be a huge incline. I had thought they would build it flat across from tonnelle ave to the overpass, working in some new connection to the well what was pathmark and the side streets that lead behind target and 68th street.

You almost never see anyone working down here during the week, unless this is overnight only job.
 #1349923  by Steve F45

none. Im actually going to write the njdot. There is something going on with this project. This company is stacking jersey barriers against the concrete abutments. To me it looks like they are trying to avoid having to use as much fill as needed by stacking all these barriers and taking up space. I can't see how this is allowed in a project. Not one thing has been done since the steel girders have been installed. nothing new what so ever. The contruction trucks sit in the same spot except for 1 or 2 excavators. When did this project initially start, 8 years ago?