Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#154682  by Metra 47 607

Hello I saw 614 running today as the second engine at Deerfield today on third Deerfield turn witch is train # 2133 and returning on train # 2150. By the way an F40PH was the first unit. It was nice to see it running even though it was the second unit. F40cs all the way!!!

#154754  by metra 613

Wow must be nice to see it.But i gust that whatt u get when u dont have to work.To bad its not going to run sunday i cant get the pic i allways wanting with the old gmc nortran 5307 with 614 next to it.

#155630  by MikeF

It was reported on another list that 614 was out again Monday morning, running behind an F40 on MD-N #2101.

#155693  by AMTK84

Well,

I wonder how long it'll last? I mean, if we're short units why not take an F40PH from RI?

#155989  by MetraF40C607

**Whistles**.............................Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I think we're gonna run 614 today. Which train shall it run on.......**throws dart**.....ah, okay, that one is fine. We'll put it behind the F40PH that's already on that train. But seriously, that's interesting. I doubt that we're short of engines, unless we're hurting due too the fact we don't have 125-127.

#156165  by MikeF

AMTK84, these recent reports of 614 running on the Milwaukee North Line are not rumors; they have been confirmed by several observers.

#156194  by Metra 47 607

I know I saw it running on friday. I saw it running on an extra train on sunday morning going west behind train # 2109 and I went to Fox Lake and it was allready in the yard by the time I got there.

#156197  by Joe

MikeF wrote:AMTK84, these recent reports of 614 running on the Milwaukee North Line are not rumors; they have been confirmed by several observers.
It's really hard to mistake an F40PH from a C. Big silver siding will do that. :P

#156266  by AMTK84

I do indeed stand corrected, guys! Another source, who I will leave unnamed to protect his privacy, said that he confermed that 614 did indeed run. Besides the obvious incredibillity of my source, we need to find out why is it now running?

#156666  by MetraF40C607

That's a really good question. Wish I could answer it. Too bad I didn't know 614 was on the move or I would have gone out and taken pics.

#156712  by byte

They might have run it just to keep it "fresh." Not knowing extreme specifics about the internals of locomotives, I'm not completely sure about this, but running it every now and then might be beneficial to keeping it in good condition, rather than just letting it sit there at Western Ave. If this is the case, then we might see the 611 on a trip sometime soon as well.

#156725  by AMTK84

For not knowing much about the internal workings of a locomotive, you have a pretty good understanding of the idea! :)

That said, I do believe that unning it would help, but I don't think they'd run it in passenger service, givven its age and what not. On June 10, they took 614 down to Union Station because it was needed to supply power to the station. From what I was told by my sources at Metra, METX423 was also available but they decided to use 614.

#156727  by AMTK84

Just a note about the abuv message: when electrical work is done on Union Station, they require a locomotive to go down to the stationon the throu track; the unit is put into HEP standby.

#158813  by Milwaukee_F40C

I saw only one F40C at Western Avenue this morning. It's rear headlight was on. I am not sure which one it was but probably 611(?).