Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#195639  by Metra 47 607

611 and 614 were outside today

#195778  by Metra 47 607

No the logos and names on 611& 614 have not been painted out. My source told me just the cab interiors and the underframes were to be painted.

#195923  by NCSRider

Metra 47 607 wrote:611 and 614 were outside today
I didn't see them this morning...

#196249  by Metra 47 607

They are outside I saw them and my friend saw them in the yard this morning

#196255  by NCSRider

Metra 47 607 wrote:They are outside I saw them and my friend saw them in the yard this morning
Are they parked in a new spot? Sometimes it's hard for me to see in the mornings with all the other trains parked out there at Western.

#197354  by Metra 47 607

I passed 611and 614 last nigh on my way home from riding the new Metra electric cars and they were outside in their normal spot. My source said that they are not for sale that the just spruced them up for winter beacuse the wiil need them if the MPs break down again. and the names were not painted out so i do belive him.

#197707  by AMTK84

A diesel house employee indicated that 611 and 614 were being repainted for sale sometime in the future; when he doesn't know. How ever he was very clear that 614 and 611 WILL NOT BE RUNNING THIS WINTER; REGUARDLESS OF WHETHER THE MP36'S BREAK DOWN OR NOT. If a mass-breakdown like last years does occure, he said the plan would be to take locomotives from BN, which has extra power; he didn't however rule out the possibillity of using alternative power if needed.

#197740  by AmtrakFan

Oh Grand The BN Power is Crap anyway and you think it won't break down? NOT!!!!!!!! When I go down Downtown there are few of those so called Shop Queens. Well on the Bright Side Amtrak has a bunch of P40's that are looking for work.

#198099  by metra 613

Its funny my source told me there were fixing them up to run then when all the mps die.He told me theres no way metra will put money into something if there are going to sell it. He told me its when u have a car and u are about to sell it. Are u going to anything to it? Umm no.

#200445  by AMTK84

I wouldn't waste time believing and hoping every day that an F40C is going to run; my source (who happens to be one of the head employees at Western Avenue) said that there are no plans to run 611 and 614...seriously, don't get your hopes up.

BTW, what is your sources position at Western Avenue?

#200847  by Tadman

If metra does borrow power from BN, how are they going to heat/light the train?

#200892  by MikeF

The BN hasn't been around for 10 years, but I think what AMTK84 meant was that Metra would borrow BNSF-assigned Metra locomotives for the Milwaukee District. Before anybody asks, yes, they are electrically compatible with the rest of the fleet; that issue was resolved when the Winnebagos were built.

#201274  by metra 613

Hey AMTK 84, Maybe some people will like to see good power run.Just becasue u and some other guys love the MP36s so much.Dont be Jerks to guys that like the f40c.

#201421  by AmtrakFan

That post was uncalled for ans stupid. Metra has enough Power where they don't need the F40C's which are essentally surplus, they didn't even need them last year they could of just borrowed a Unit from BN if need or two. As Aerosmith's Song would Say Dream On. I am going to say if you hope we seen an F40C this year my message is Dream On.