Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#114501  by bones

Nose doors were removed for safety reasons.

#114547  by NCSRider

FYI, on my ride in this morning I saw 614 sitting in the Western Ave. yard, hooked up to a string of coaches. This was a few minutes before 8:00. Only caught a brief glimpse before another train blocked my view, but it was definitely 614.

#114605  by F40CFan

I think 611 is lashed up behind 614 and before the coachs. It is hard to see because of other equipment and they are on the 7th or 8th track over from the main.

The current Railfan and Railroad has a blurb about the F40Cs that were sent to Helm and are being leased by KCS. According to the article, the F40Cs must be used as trailing units because they do not have an end platform or stairs.

#114682  by MetraBNSF

NCSRider wrote:FYI, on my ride in this morning I saw 614 sitting in the Western Ave. yard, hooked up to a string of coaches. This was a few minutes before 8:00. Only caught a brief glimpse before another train blocked my view, but it was definitely 614.
I also saw 614 and 611 hooked up to a string of coaches shortly before 8am. The coaches appeared to be several ex-CB&Q control cars and 8200 series control cars.

#115226  by Scotty Burkhardt

Awhile ago there was talk of them being used as MOW units this summer for rail replacement. Theres still alot of unwelded rail along the west line. I dont know about the MILW North.

#115806  by MetraF40C607

Well, if they are used for that purpose, I hope someone finds out and lets us know, because it would be pretty cool to see that.

#135968  by NCSRider

Had another 614 sighting yesterday (Friday 6/10). As my train was pulling out of CUS at about 5:45, I looked out the window to notice a doubleheader waiting to pull into the station, presumably to hook up to a string of coaches. I could tell one was an F40C. As we got closer, sure enough it was 614 hooked up behind 122. Nice to see it's still running about...

#135973  by MikeF

Whaaaaaaaa?! This is the first report I've heard since January of an F40C in service. Wonder what this is all about.

#135977  by metraRI

Hmm, I wonder if 614 actually went out on a train yesterday. 5:45 seems late for a revenue train (in this case locos) to be coming from Western Ave., as most trainsets used after 5:30 have all ready been used earlier in the rush hour. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only train that would come right from Western after 5:30 would be the 6:17, #113 NCS train.

NCS had mechanical problems on Tuesday, which makes me wonder if 122 was the F40 that had problems.

#136016  by metra 613

Has anyone went out to any of the yards yet to see? if anyone see it plz tell us.

#136107  by doepack

metraRI wrote:Hmm, I wonder if 614 actually went out on a train yesterday. 5:45 seems late for a revenue train (in this case locos) to be coming from Western Ave., as most trainsets used after 5:30 have all ready been used earlier in the rush hour. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only train that would come right from Western after 5:30 would be the 6:17, #113 NCS train
NCS 113 used to come directly from Western Ave at about that time, but as of April 2004, this trainset now makes an additional afternoon short-turn trip to Deerfield on MDN, leaving as 2123, returning as 2144. Upon 2144's arrival at CUS, it then becomes NCS 113.

As for the 614/122 move into CUS, I didn't see it, but I'm guessing it was the "weekend spare" move from Western. Normally, it's the last move out of Western every Friday, and it's purpose is to keep a spare locomotive at CUS in case anything breaks down over the road on the weekend. It's usually just one F40PH, though, don't know why there would be a need for two units...

#136122  by MikeF

Hmm, this might call for a trip down to Union Station tomorrow to see if it's still there. I don't know if I'll have time, but I'll see what I can do. :-)

#136403  by MikeF

I took a trip down to Union Station Sunday evening in search of the F40C. When I arrived at about 5:15, 122 was in the normal "weekend spare" spot on Track 1, but 614 was nowhere to be seen. I drove out to Western Avenue and found 611 and 614 in their usual spot next to the employee parking lot. So, this still leaves unanswered the questions of why 614 went to Union Station Friday evening and how long it stayed there.

It also brings up a question I've had for a while that perhaps someone here can answer -- how "off-limits" is that employee parking lot at Western Avenue? For a long time I've thought about driving in there to snap a few pictures of the F40C's but I've always been afraid of getting busted, especially with the Metra police department right next door. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any experience with this.

#136443  by F40CFan

Last Friday, I was on the 4:20 and when we passed Western Ave., I noticed that one of the F40Cs was sitting out side the eastern entrance to the shop buildings. I was wondering what it was doing there, now I know.

As for the Western Ave. parking lot, I wouldn't chance it. I've gone running by there and have gotten looks from employees when I stopped to check out the F40Cs and I didn't even go into the lot, just stood by the entrance.