Railroad Forums 

• 539 Main Bearing Tool

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#497883  by BSOR Patarak

I was trying to locate a tool for removing the 539 main bearing cap nuts.

Sweeney tool made a set, #3830-1 that consists of a 'power wrench' (or multiplier), an off set drive and mounting bracket. On the 539's you need this offset because the studs point up in the block and there isn't room to move standard sockets/wrenchs inside the block. As opposed to the 251 where the studs point down.

I have access to the multiplier part, but am in need of this offset. It is Sweeney #383 - 'chain drive & socket'. It is also listed in the Alco Tool catalog as Alco #2472082.

I have contacted Sweeney Tool out of Colorado. FYI, they still make the 251 tools. Unfortunatly, they stated that the 539 stuff is too old to service and could not help me. I also contacted Hatch & Kirk, Relco and NRE to see if they might have had some 539 stuff left in the shops....more dead ends. Seems a long time since any of the larger shops did any real 539 rebuilds. Guess it says something for how well they work and how long the last!

Any how, I'm open for suggestions on where to look for such a tool. I am interested in purchasing one, renting it for this job or borrowing. It would be nice to know where such tools are so they can be at the hands of we last Alco hold outs. Any help would be appreciated.

The BSOR still has 5 539 blocks in servicable condition. There are also several more on our line for parts or potential use.

Thanks in advance! Please contact me if you can offer any help or suggestions.

Pat Connors
CMO Buffalo Southern RR

#497915  by thebigham

Welcome back to the forum, Pat!

Chris

#498106  by GOLDEN-ARM

Not knowing if they like to "share", or not, but we had that tool on the M&E, and used it when we did a total rebuild of the 15. Don't remember if it was owned by the railroad, or personally by the MM. Seems like Al Holluefer might know how to contact the MM........ :wink:

#499255  by Paul

Well, i never knew they made a handy dandy tool like that. I just used two slug wrenches, one heated to an off set, the other straight on. That and a sledge....

#499449  by BSOR Patarak

I'm working on the center main so there are two studs next to each other on each side for a total of 4. I started with an off set wrench. I had to grind it down a bit to fit between the nuts. Now it goes on, but I can't get any swing to it. It hits on the casting of the block or the cap before it can twist any.

It has been a real PITA so far. It may take a custom fabrication of a socket and off set perhaps? I haven't given up my search yet.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

Pat Connors
BSOR

#500148  by midwest fred

Try contacting Silcott Railway Supply in Worthington OH (614-885-7224), they have and maintain 539's and should have the tools. Whether they let you borrow them is another story since they are a "full service" shop themselves. I am sure you guys could come to some arrangement, they probably have one of the largest 539 parts sources left around.

Mike
Island Rail Preservation LLC

#519836  by BSOR Patarak

Thank you to the many suggestions that I have received over the past couple of months. I am still looking to acquire the Sweeney PowerWrench set for the 539s.

I was able to borrow one, and what a difference it made in this bearing job! Funny how the proper tool designed for job makes it go so easy! The bearing in question was removed and a new one installed. Now, the act of removing it and reinstalling the new one are a different story! Man things inside that 539 are heavy working through the side opening! Of course it had to be the center main, or the larger one. Looks like the thrust one at the end of the block could be near impossible in that engine.

The locomotive now needs some break in running and she'll be returned to service this spring. For those interested, it was on our S4 #93.

Pat

#519864  by JKR251

'
Last edited by JKR251 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#519988  by BSOR Patarak

28 is stored with a broken crankshaft. Most electrical equipment gone, air compressor off, otherwise everything else is intact. The block itself hsn't been canabolized...mainly due to the fact that we don't have any other 244 power operating. There are no plans to do anything with the remains, thought the next move would probably be scrap. There has been a little interest in purchasing it as a parts unit.

Pat