Railroad Forums 

• 52nd Street Bridge to Cynwyd to be Retired

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1337191  by Silverliner II

PhilliesPhan2013 wrote:Now that the 52nd Street Bridge is being talked about, does anyone know the story of the ROW that extends from the eastern portion of the 52nd Street Bridge onto the ex-PRR Schuylkill Division? If that used to be used to access the Schuylkill Division, then why was the 52nd Street Bridge constructed?
Simplistic answer: The lower bridges came out of the former freight yard. The high bridge was basically the westbound passenger flyover for the Main Line and to the Schuylkill Division bypassing the yard.
 #1385868  by Silverliner II

South Jersey Budd wrote:Went by Friday and the switch and track is complete at the connection on the AMTRAK side. Just needs overhead wire.
I have heard some reports that the connection is to be completed and ready for service by September or October, at latest, if not a bit sooner.
 #1386017  by ExCon90

I haven't seen anything published about whether the bridge will have to be demolished or can remain in place as long as there are no trains running over it. Does anybody know? Big expense and significant disruption if it has to be torn down.
 #1386321  by khecht

NorthPennLimited wrote:The 52nd flyover bridge will probably share the same fate as the current bridge over the PRR mainline at Whitford
That seems most likely in the near term.

In the longer term, I believe they plan to rework Overbrook interlocking as (I'd heard) it's expensive to maintain given it being on a curve. Demolishing the bridge and its approach from the east would potentially allow a straighter four track main to be restored from where it currently ends just east of Overbrook station to the western limits of ZOO, specifically where the NY-Pittsburgh duckunder begins to descend under the intersection of Belmont and Girard. And they likely have plenty of ROW space to go another mile or so east from there if they wanted. The track and switch layout there results in frustratingly slow speeds for Amtrak and SEPTA trains under west of there, and this presents a potential opportunity for simpification and therefore lower maintenance expense, as well as higher speeds. While an interesting piece of railroad history, the eastbound connection to the NEC via the subway could likely also be rerouted to the surface with the existing ROW.

Not likely a priority, I know.
 #1386458  by MACTRAXX

NorthPennLimited wrote:The 52nd flyover bridge will probably share the same fate as the current bridge over the PRR mainline at Whitford
NPL and Everyone:

The Whitford truss bridge is now a "glorified catenary pole" as I describe it since it was closed to anyone using the
rail trail over remnants of the former PRR Trenton Cutoff as a result of someone being either badly burned or worse
after coming in contact with the catenary running under that bridge. When you look up at that wire under the bridge
from the Whitford Station platform it is hard to discern because of rust from the bridge that can hide it somewhat.

The 52nd Street Bridge is in much more of a deteriorated state and should eventually be demolished after Cynwyd
Line trains get rerouted to new tracks and this route and structure gets formally abandoned.

MACTRAXX
 #1425025  by SCB2525

MACTRAXX wrote:
NPL and Everyone:

The Whitford truss bridge is now a "glorified catenary pole" as I describe it since it was closed to anyone using the
rail trail over remnants of the former PRR Trenton Cutoff as a result of someone being either badly burned or worse
after coming in contact with the catenary running under that bridge. When you look up at that wire under the bridge
from the Whitford Station platform it is hard to discern because of rust from the bridge that can hide it somewhat.

The 52nd Street Bridge is in much more of a deteriorated state and should eventually be demolished after Cynwyd
Line trains get rerouted to new tracks and this route and structure gets formally abandoned.

MACTRAXX
The bridge over Whitford is the remains of the Philadelphia & Thorndale branch, though it is basically a continuance of the Trenton Cutoff.

I also don't think there was ever a rail trail on it unless I'm mistaken, even though its actually one of the very few genuinely duplicative, unnecessary abandoned railroads in the area. Also, don't hold your breath on the bridge being removed. There's generally a wide period of time between having to remove a bridge from service and it being in danger of collapse under its own weight.
 #1425232  by CNJGeep

twropr wrote:I've heard that the track and switch from JO (west end Zoo) are in place but the messenger and signal wire still needs to be installed - this as of a month ago.
Andy
Track is laid, no wire up yet, have to check and see if the switch is cut in on the Amtrak end.
 #1425385  by South Jersey Budd

Switch is in and they are working on the underground signal wires. Track is tamped and lined only for a few hundred feet after the switch. After that they have the ballast in, but it needs to be tamped, lined and groomed. Still no wire yet.
 #1433444  by mcgrath618

Drove under the bridge today and SPAX 60 was on there with the cab car parked right over the street. Would've been an awesome photo but the light turned green before I could. Is this the beginning of the end of the bridge?
 #1433520  by CNJGeep

mcgrath618 wrote:Drove under the bridge today and SPAX 60 was on there with the cab car parked right over the street. Would've been an awesome photo but the light turned green before I could. Is this the beginning of the end of the bridge?
Yes, tomorrow (6/2) will be the last day, as far as I am aware.