Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#910435  by orangeline

Just saw on Yahoo news that the 5000-series L cars have successfully completed testing on all 8 lines and CTA will go forward with acquisition of up to 700+/- new cars.
 #910651  by Chicagopcclcars

orangeline wrote:Just saw on Yahoo news that the 5000-series L cars have successfully completed testing on all 8 lines and CTA will go forward with acquisition of up to 700+/- new cars.
The cars are still being tested...its not over yet.....they are now on the Red line again. Here is the exact quote...so the final go-ahead is not quite yet...patience...patience.

"I'm satisfied with the way in which the vehicles have been actually operating to date, in all weather," Rodriguez said. "As we put them out, we continue to identify different things that need to be addressed, and Bombardier, I think, has been very good about addressing those issues when they're identified, so I'm satisfied that we're working hand-in-hand to address everything that we find."
The latest upgrade was to 'L' car software. Rodriguez hopes to give the green light this spring to begin construction of the 700-car fleet.

David Harrison
 #919999  by buddah

I hear you Tadman ... I came back up north in DEC 2010 and explored the option of a new car purchase from a dealership in Skokie. Needless to say I spent a few hrs lingering around the yellow line for a few pictures of the 3200s, too bad the weather was crappy. But Ive never been able to catch ( or ridden on for that matter) anything newer than the 2400 on the purple line. Just seems odd for some reason, oh well Im A old school CTA lover now, I miss the 6000's and the 1-50, when those were in regular service is when I rode the "L" the most.
 #958097  by CHTT1

Today, I was westbound on I-80 at I-57 when two trucks carrying CTA 5000-series cars joined I-80 headed westbound. I was abreast of them and then got ahead of them, so I didn't see where they were heading, so what's the deal? Where are they manufactured and where are they delivered to the CTA?
 #958153  by byte

The CTA takes new rolling stock deliveries at Skokie Shops. My guess is, to avoid heavy traffic and low clearances (anyone want to risk taking a new "L" car through Hubbard's Cave?), they're going I-80W -> 355N -> 88E or 55N -> 294N and getting off and going east at the Dempster exit. I think the cars are coming from Delaware.
 #975432  by buddah

Sorry Ive been away so long but thing have me very busy lately, but I did miss all the discussions on this site. Well Ive got one for you All... As I now know "Lightening can strike the same place twice" As I said in another topic I missed my first photo op of the 5000 series cars on a trip back form Toronto when one was flying by me on the 401 highway this time as luck would have it I just completed a trip from Florida to Toronto last week and was spending a few days out in Kankakee before my return to Florida and as luck (or karma) would have it I happen to catch A shiny new 500 series car (#5010 to be exact) in Kankakee cruising its way down highway 50. Needless to say I was heading the opposite direction again but this time I was able to made one heck of a U turn and give chase. Your seeing them on 80 heading west which has been explained, The odd thing is this one was on 50 ( just by I-57 and no he did not get on or off 57) in Kankakee IL and heading South? Anyone want to guess where he was going? I posted one ( low quality) pic I took in the topic on the 2600s Ill post the rest in my flickr account ( for best resolution) or those who would like to take a gander...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8453967@N08/

So anyone have any Idea what could be the reason for 5010 heading south instead of north on a flatbed truck? And so far south in the first place from Chicago?

EDIT... Here's a video clip I took if it as well, enjoy, Buddah... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGc5cPr8pQ
 #975644  by Chicagopcclcars

All the prototype cars including 5010 should be going BACK to Bombardier at Plattsville, NY so that changes and updates can be installed so they will be identical to the production cars which are slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy coming in Chicago. I have no idea why the car you saw was in Kankakee. Maybe the truck driver is on a date??? Or they might be avoiding the toll roads but I would have used U.S.-30 East to I-76 in Ohio.

David Harrison
 #978328  by Tadman

I can't believe they're going BACK to the factory. Seems like it would be much easier renting space from CTA and sending technicians out to Chicago for a few months.
 #978447  by byte

Heads up: there are enough 5000s on the property that they may begin operating in revenue service (on the Pink line) as soon as this next Sunday. If this is the case, expect a press release before the end of this week.
 #978612  by Pacific 2-3-1

These won't be the first "L" cars to run on the Douglas Park (Pink) line to have "bowling alley" seats, either.

I remember as a kid being astonished when, during the rush-hour, I encountered some old-fashioned cars so equipped, instead of the PCC's I was used to.