Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1312051  by Tadman

Today while waiting for a brown train, I noticed a Midway train with digital roll signs on #3208 and its mate. The signs look similar but not identical to those on the 5000's.
 #1312057  by F40CFan

Isn't "digital roll sign" an oxymoron? Just kidding.......
 #1312060  by sipes23

As much as I appreciate the better visibility of the digital roll signs, I'll miss the cranking noise they make as a cue for express running.
 #1312173  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The title of this topic should be "CTA 3200 Series cars with digital destination signs"

That better describes what they actually are...

MACTRAXX
 #1312336  by Tadman

I won't miss the old signs. They break and are costly to maintain. When they are mis-matched it's an easy way to confuse even normal riders, let alone tourists. I'm in the process of teaching my better half to ride the train and I can't wait til she calls me from who-knows-where because she got on a train with a bad rollsign.

Also, the LED visibility is dazzling. It looks gooooood.
 #1312425  by F40CFan

I find them difficult to read from a distance, such as street level looking up to a train on the elevated trackage.
 #1312436  by doepack

I was fortunate enough to snag some old signs from the IRM table at the Kane County Train Show a few months ago. Included in the collection were destination signs such as "to U of I Halsted only", and "to River Road only (B)", both of which I didn't see much of at that time. Also, I liked fooling around with the manually operated signs on the 6000's as a kid (when no one was looking of course, although a conductor caught me once, who just sighed, changed it back, and shot me a dirty look before moving on. Some years later after I'd moved, and shortly before conductors were eliminated, the same guy saw me on a passing train in the subway and we both got a laugh out of it. I was pleasantly surprised he still recognized me, had grown a beard by that time!),

The coolest thing about the new LED signs is that the destination signs on the sides are visually similar from both inside and outside the car; you don't get the old "backward" display effect that the roll signs gave from the inside. Makes it easier for the drunks, I suppose...
 #1312443  by Tadman

doepack wrote: Some years later after I'd moved, and shortly before conductors were eliminated, the same guy saw me on a passing train in the subway and we both got a laugh out of it. I was pleasantly surprised he still recognized me, had grown a beard by that time!),
Good story. I have that happen on the South Shore about once a year - some old hand remembers me as a kid in the 80's or 90's. Also, when Frosty's Ribs re-opened after a ten year hiatus in Michigan City, Frosty remembered me as the little kid that watched South Shore trains go by from his restaurant.