Railroad Forums 

• 3018 and 3022 to Dansville, NY, for rebuild?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#330253  by trainfreak

I love how its lashed up with the 3020 too...actually that entire consist is good...3 out of 4 YJ's two SD40's and two SD40-2T's...at least thats all we can see in the shot.

#330254  by U-Haul

Looks great, but I would have left it as a high nosed locomotive.

#330279  by trainfreak

Well according to posts on the NYSW Yahoo! Group the 3022 already bit the dust! It was reported to have a dynamic brake grid fire...what a quality product straight out of Dansville!

#330517  by mxdata

Is it just a visual effect of the telephoto lens in the pictures linked earlier, or is the lettering on 3022 actually applied with a number of letters out of alignment? It also looks as if the lower paint divide between the yellow and the black goes visibly uphill at the back.

#330529  by scottychaos

mxdata wrote:Is it just a visual effect of the telephoto lens in the pictures linked earlier, or is the lettering on 3022 actually applied with a number of letters out of alignment? It also looks as if the lower paint divide between the yellow and the black goes visibly uphill at the back.
its not the lens..I see it too, and the lettering really is messed up,
here is another pic:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=167743

The two letters "S" are smaller than all the other letters,
the two U's are larger, the Q is the largest.
"ehanna" is all the same size, but they arent straight, they jog up and down.
they lettering is also out of whack on the other side..

and I also see the slope in the bottom yellow/black seperation..
very strange.. :(

Scot

#330621  by Steve F45

i took the shots on rrpicturearchives.net. Trust me, the lettering is way off on both sides. The last "A" on the engineers side is like 2" higher then the rest.

#330632  by RichM

Hey, maybe I'm making excuses for these guys, but it sounds like teething pains and a lack of familiarity, at least with the paint.
I wonder if they took the doors off to paint and letter them, it wouldn't surprise me if the mounting hinges weren't exactly aligned as built, or that the doors are different sizes, but when you stand them on a floor to align them... let's just say been there, done that...

#330666  by Alcoman

Maybe its the angle, but the number 3022 is not straight either!

#330835  by Steve F45

If the dynamic brake grid fire wasn't bad it should come down tonights/tomorrow mornings 100. I'll see if i can get some close up shots of the #'s and letters. I just wish they went with the old style number boards and cab/numbers like on f45/sd45's and gp18.

#330846  by GOLDEN-ARM

You don't take the doors off, to paint a loco, and you never would remove them, and attempt a lettering job. Usually the letters are a mask, applied, then painted over, although, they can also be decals, or if you have enough money, you could hire a real sign painter, to hand letter the locos. (like we used to do, on the M&E. ) If they are decals, (looking at Scots pic, they are indeed, decals, with the "S" coming from a previous batch, of the wrong size, possibly from another vendor) and they were applied singly, instead of from an applied backing paper, this could result in lettering being applied in an uneven manner. Some folks don't use, or don't know how to use, a chalk line, to align lettering, and logos, when applying them as individual letters. The black paint is straight, across the top hinge line, on the firemans side photo, but the bottom does appear to curve, but looking closely, the catwalk also looks to curve upwards, too. Hard to call, from the angle of the shot. If the painter measured, and masked from the catwalk, and the catwalk IS bowed, that would translate to a curved line in the paint. The top cut line, was obviously following the hinge line, a common technique to aligning masking, or striping. I am NOT saying this is what happened, just what I see, and having participated in the stripping, and painting, of 6 locos, to date, I am familiar with the techniques used, to paint, mask and letter. Regards :wink:

hi

#330999  by thebigham

3022 looks great!!

When is the #3020 going? (lol)

Chris

#331031  by trainfreak

Keep the 3020 here as a high hood!...even though i think it also had problems the same night that the 3022 had its teething issues.

#331068  by Steve F45

3020 wednesday night was pulling hard but putting on a smoke and amber show up the hill in midland park. It died out i believe just after goffle road due to not loading. 3022 came back down on todays su-100 but not leading.

When is 3018 coming back down? they went up the same day.

#332538  by mxdata

I went to the American Motive Power Inc. website and there are some very small photos of the Susquehanna units in the "image gallery" on their website. Also in the section are shots of the repainting of an NJ Transit F40PH for another customer.

There are also shots of an Amtrak F40PH "before" and "after" rebuilding shown in their "services" section. It is supposed to illustrate their wreck rebuilding capability, but I am unaware of any Amtrak F40PH units that have been given an extensive wreck rebuild and a fresh paint job in the year or so since AMPI has been in business, I thought they were all pretty much out of service now. Very strange.

http://www.americanmotivepower.com/