Railroad Forums 

• 28 whistle blasts

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#808556  by 3shorts

I live in Port Dickinson between Nowlan Rd and Phelps St crossings and heard a loco coming South...with an unusual number of whistles.
Series of 4, all short, correct 2 long a short and a long for Phelps St. then more series of 4, in total at least 28 blasts. How come?
This train was followed by 2 more trains withing about 20 minutes or less.
can somebody tell me what was going on?
 #808643  by Ken V

Usually a number of short whistles are used as a warning to someone (or something) on or near the tracks. Was there a track gang working in the area?

Moderator's note: topic moved from CP Rail forum to General Operations.
 #808904  by SooLineRob

Ken V wrote:Usually a number of short whistles are used as a warning to someone (or something) on or near the tracks.
Or a "concerned citizen" called the railroad recently and reported "...your train number 9577 just came through here and NEVER blew their horn for any of our crossings! Those guys could kill someone by not blowing their horn! You people better do something about this...". So, the crew on CP 9577 South got their event recorder downloaded, and written up for a rules violation.

Word gets out to blow the horn going through Port Dickinson...
 #810187  by 3shorts

3shorts wrote:I live in Port Dickinson between Nowlan Rd and Phelps St crossings and heard a loco coming South...with an unusual number of whistles.
Series of 4, all short, correct 2 long a short and a long for Phelps St. then more series of 4, in total at least 28 blasts. How come?
This train was followed by 2 more trains withing about 20 minutes or less.
can somebody tell me what was going on?
It was not I who complained........I kinda enjoy hearing the trains.
There is only one crossing in Port Dick that needs whistling, that's Phelps St. It does have gates that drop to stop traffic. Isn't that enough? But I guess if they failed and the lights too, the whistle would be the only warning.
 #812700  by 10more years

Sometimes, its just nothing. Sometimes, its an acknowledgment of someone along the tracks (folks giving us the "blow your horn hand signal"). Sometimes, they are regular "friends" who live along the track that come out to wave as we go by and we acknowledge as we go by. There are 3-4 folks that me and others look out for and blow horns as we go by and wave at. Could be anything, could be nothing.