Railroad Forums 

• 25 years ago today...

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1004187  by RockGp40

25 years ago today, Chase, Maryland, a little town in Maryland very few would have known, made the national news when an Amtrak train collided with a couple of Conrail engines on the NEC, resulting in numerous fatalities, evern more injuries, and paving the way for mandatory drug screenings (and in my profession, advancements in rescue equipment and training).

I was only 12 at the time. I remember watching football on TV that dreadful day. Where were you and what do you remember?
 #1007520  by Teutobergerwald

I remember that too. It was almost beyond comprehension then, and still is, that that could happen on the Northeast Corridor.
 #1403187  by Nhrp5

That was horrible. I worked with a volunteer fireman back when it happened. I asked him about it. He said it changed him. Even today they keep pushing back the date to supply the trains with the safety equipment that is needed.