Railroad Forums 

• 22nd Street Yard in San Diego

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#480343  by erielackawanna

Here are two pictures from 22nd Street Yard in San Diego. There's not much freight action during daylight hours in San Diego.

A Santa Fe Yellow Bonnet against the skyline

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 564&nseq=1

An H1 unit and an ex BN.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 565&nseq=0

Regards,

Charles

#534192  by erielackawanna

Most of the freight moves at night. You can always see something at the two freight yards down there, but catching a moving freight in the daytime is not that easy.

#534199  by erielackawanna

Amtrak station is a great place to shoot. There are lots of passenger trains (Amtrak, Coaster, Trolley). You can occasionally luck out and see freight through there in the daytime, but it's rare.

You can see the San Diego and Imperial Valley power tied up in the Trolley yard during the day, and there is usually BNSF power in 22nd Street Yard.

If you are adventurous, the Carizo Gorge comes into Tijuana (I believe daily)... but I wouldn't recommennd hanging out by the train station there waiting for a train.

#534202  by erielackawanna

You have TJ pegged.

Another thing to see is up in Escondido, Rail America switches the industries there. I have no idea what the schedule is, however.

#534203  by erielackawanna

One other thing, as you mention have a 2-year-old.... the downtown Amtrak station gets very lonely and homeless friendly after dark. While it's wonderful in the daytime, I would not hang out there with a child in the dark.