Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1409605  by GirlOnTheTrain

Dammit, ya beat me to it! ;)

Same story as every year - similar schedule. This link has a bit more info than the MTA release in case you're unfamiliar with the intermediate stops it makes, etc.
http://web.mta.info/metrocard/promos/Ri ... us2016.htm
 #1410162  by Head-end View

Anyone know if that 11:13 departure from 2nd Ave. might be a mis-print? Maybe it's supposed to be 11:33 like the last couple of years? The Transit Museum's website shows that departure as 11:30.

And would you believe the Transit Museum's own website said the first day was today, November 26th(!!??) not Nov. 27th? It's a damn good thing I didn't go into the city today to ride it, 'cause there would have been hell-to-pay for that screw up, assuming it was a typo and that the MTA's website is correct. I wonder how many people followed that info today and are venting their anger with telephone calls and furious e-mails to the Museum. A damn good thing I didn't go today.....
 #1411207  by Head-end View

I dodged a bullet last week when the Museum had the wrong date shown on their website but this week I got scammed for sure. Took the LIRR into the city; just missed the Museum train as it was leaving 34th St. for 2nd Ave on its first (and only) round-trip of the day. I took the next F-train down to 2nd Ave, where throngs of us squeezed into the first car of the train, only to be told by the employees that there would be no further trips today due to the crowding 'cause they lost three cars. Well frig me for making a wasted trip into the city. I think I'm done with the museum train, at least for this year. ...:( And there will be no donation to the museum from me this year either.

Where are the R-32's running nowadays? Maybe I can get some serious head-end viewing on those trains.
Last edited by Head-end View on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1411746  by Allan

Head-end View wrote:I dodged a bullet last week when the Museum had the wrong date shown on their website but this week I got scammed for sure. Took the LIRR into the city; just missed the Museum train as it was leaving 34th St. for 2nd Ave on its first (and only) round-trip of the day. I took the next F-train down to 2nd Ave, where throngs of us squeezed into the first car of the train, only to be told by the employees that there would be no further trips today due to the crowding 'cause they lost three cars. Well frig me for making a wasted trip into the city. I think I'm done with the museum train, at least for this year. ...:( And there will be no donation to the museum from me this year either.

Where are the R-32's running nowadays? Maybe I can get some serious head-end viewing on those trains.
H-e V,

Don't blame the TM for a mechanical failure on the train.

The problem was with car 1300. One of the motors dropped an armature. This was totally unexpected. Given the age of the car and the scarcity of some parts, things like that can happen.

A complete explanation is here: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1418854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Museum train will run on 12/11 and 12/18 although it will be a 7 car train (with 1300 being sidelined).
 #1411754  by GirlOnTheTrain

I saw Lou's explanation on subchat earlier and thought he did a very good job explaining it. As mentioned there...and as I mentioned before last weekend's shenanigans, actual road trains take priority over any excursions or museum trips...on a good day the holiday train is jammed, I don't blame Bill Wall in the slightest for cancelling the trips for the rest of the day. The cars were a static display at 2nd Avenue, which is better than nothing...and if they really wanted to scam anyone they would have chased people away from that. You were in Manhattan with plenty of Christmas-y activities to do, and the transit museum was open. Definitely could have made the best of it...I would hardly call it a wasted trip, but to each their own.

It was the first time in the 12 years they've run the holiday train that they've cancelled it due to mechanical issues. Cut them some slack.