Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Metra reported on their website this morning (2/1) that BNSF 1234 had been cancelled due to mechanical issues. To compensate, 1238, normally an express from DG-CUS, would instead pick up additonal passengers between DG Main St. and Brookfield, then highball downtown. It then said that 1246 would make all stops from LaGrange to downtown, instead of its usual express run between there and Western Ave.

Under normal circumstances, 1246 closely follows 1238 (about 4-5 min. behind) on the south track between DG Fairview and LaGrange, before 1238 picks up the center track for its express run. I don't understand why Metra decided to add stops to 1246, despite the fact that 1254 was going to make its normal local stops anyway east of Congress Park, running about 10 min. behind 1246. Unless I'm missing something else here, the passengers boarding at stations east of LaGrange shouldn't have been affected by 1234's problems, service should've proceeded normally...
  by asc99yhs

doepack wrote:Metra reported on their website this morning (2/1) that BNSF 1234 had been cancelled due to mechanical issues. To compensate, 1238, normally an express from DG-CUS, would instead pick up additonal passengers between DG Main St. and Brookfield, then highball downtown. It then said that 1246 would make all stops from LaGrange to downtown, instead of its usual express run between there and Western Ave.

Under normal circumstances, 1246 closely follows 1238 (about 4-5 min. behind) on the south track between DG Fairview and LaGrange, before 1238 picks up the center track for its express run. I don't understand why Metra decided to add stops to 1246, despite the fact that 1254 was going to make its normal local stops anyway east of Congress Park, running about 10 min. behind 1246. Unless I'm missing something else here, the passengers boarding at stations east of LaGrange shouldn't have been affected by 1234's problems, service should've proceeded normally...
1238 was full at Clarendon Hills. 1246 had to compensate for that. And BNSF does dumb things from time to time.
  by doepack

asc99yhs wrote:And BNSF does dumb things from time to time.
Ain't that the truth...