Railroad Forums 

• 1977 Crash - BN/IHB/Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1055321  by Tadman

I just found a series of pictures from a 1977 incident where a BN freight side-swiped an Amtrak passenger train while crossing the bridge over Indiana Harbor Belt in McCook. It appears the passenger train got away but the BN freight bit the dirt and piled up on the bridge, which then collapsed under the extreme weight of the piled up freight train. When it collapsed, it did so onto the IHB main, tying up two of the busiest railroads in the city. Anybody know more of this incident?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 04&nseq=11
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 03&nseq=12
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 01&nseq=14
 #1055434  by JLJ061

The actual location was in LaGrange. According to accident reports, a westbound BN train derailed on the bridge, just as the eastbound Zephyr was passing by. The impact from both derailments weakened the integrity of the bridge over the IHB, causing to collapse on the mainline below.
 #1055462  by steve4031

I was 10 year old, we had just moved to Hinsdale. I was anxious to do my first ride on the BN commuter service. However, this wreck post poned my plans for a couple of weeks IIRC.
 #1478416  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I found a LI Newsday article about this wreck in donated ephemera at RMLI recently.

The caption was "Two Trains Collide in Illinois; 32 Hurt" along with one photo.
The text reads:
"An Amtrak locomotive lies upside down below an overpass after it collided with a Burlington
Northern freight train late Saturday as it traveled over a section of the Indiana Harbor Belt RR
at LaGrange,IL. About 12 freight cars were piled up by the collision, but none of the passenger
cars on the California-bound Amtrak train left the tracks. Twenty four of the 192 passengers and
8 Amtrak employees were treated in area hospitals and released." (Source: UPI)

The photo shows two Amtrak SDP40F locomotives (584,587) derailed along with multiple freight
cars piled up on the ground along with some remains of the collapsed bridge. This looked to be
familiar to me - I remembered that this happened in the Chicago area.

The trouble that I had was that this newspaper article was not dated. The internet search that
I further describe led me to this topic as part of the information that I was able to find.

I then entered as many search items as I had to come up with the date: August 27, 1977 and
the location: LaGrange, IL on the BN mainline at the bridge crossing over the IHB. I looked at a
copy of the Standard Oil Chicago street map (1977) that I have and found the location.

The wreck cause was traced to a defective freight car on an eastbound train which derailed and
blocked all three tracks. The westbound Amtrak #5 San Francisco Zephyr hit the wreckage with
the two SDP40F units derailing at the bridge - all that sheer weight contributing to the collapse.

A group of very interesting color photographs can be found at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36106399@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Flickr pictures describe well how bad this wreck was - some of which I have never seen
previously. The three pictures that Tadman posted to begin this topic were later during the
cleanup which looked to be a time-consuming process overall.

The wreck was a mess with numerous derailed freight cars and the two Amtrak locomotives that
had to be removed before the bridge could be rebuilt and the line reopened. Thankfully only the
head-end cars of the SFZ were also directly involved and there was nothing moving by under the
bridge at the time of the wreck.

I noticed that when the bridge was rebuilt that it was wider then the old bridge for a roadway to
go underneath alongside the IHB tracks. The map - and an overview of the area - shows just how
close Ogden Avenue paralleling the line on bridges in that location was to the wreck site and that
nothing made physical contact with those overpasses which was definitely a close call there.

Hard to believe that this was almost 41 years ago. A good - and safe - 4th of July 2018 to all :-)
MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1478463  by Gilbert B Norman

I was living in Phila when that incident occurred; came back during '78 (thank you George, and MILW, for getting me out of that hellhole), moved to Clarendon Hills '79. Only knew of it in hindsight.
 #1558893  by drcampbell

I lived within walking distance at the time. And within walking distance of Electro-Motive. I was a contented railfan. Also a daily commuter on the BN Chicago-Aurora line.

The interconnection between the then-Burlington Northern and the Indiana Harbor Belt is east of this bridge. As is the Belt Railway Company of Chicago. So any BN traffic coming from/going to the west was unable to interconnect with any other road in Chicago. You could hardly have made a more surgical strike if you planned it.

It was amazing to watch. In only five days, they had cleared the wreckage, campbellized six girders from six other like-length bridges along the line, and established two tracks.
(three girders to cross the IHB right-of-way; three more to cross Hazel & Tilden Avenues)
Then, for the next two or three days, it was wall-to-wall freight -- only a minute or two between trains -- to clear the logjam. Commuter and AMTRAK service was restored, as well.

Several weeks went by with nothing else happening while a new bridge was custom-built. As it turns out, you can't just walk into a bridge store and buy a ready-to-go railroad bridge off the shelf.

They delivered the new bridge and completely assembled it on the ground, adjacent to the site, using a pair of 300-ton Bucyrus-Erie cranes. Then they brought in the big crane.

I'm not sure exactly how big, and I'm prone to exaggeration, but it sure seemed like a contender for mention in the Guinness Book of World Records. Suffice it to say, it was big enough to pick up the entire bridge, clear all the nearby obstacles, and swing it into place.

Then one Saturday night, when all the preparations were in place, they let the 11:00pm commuter train pass, canceled the 1:15am, and got to work. There were plenty of portable floodlights and about three hundred people. There were frequently people waiting on a task, but no task ever waited for a person. I think I saw five people installing each rail bolt -- one to place the bolt, two to put the nuts & washers in place, and two more to wrench it down tight while the next one was being installed.

I hung around and watched for a few hours, then went home and to bed. I got up at the crack of dawn Sunday and hustled over to the site, only to find the job completed and the site abandoned. They had removed the temporary bridge and installed the permanent one in one shift. Only five hours, in fact.

The bridge over Hazel & Tilden Avenues was there before this crash. I don't think they widened it any; I see that it's still a one-lane road with almost zero line of sight. I think the traffic light was installed since I was last there; I vaguely remember a STOP sign and a SOUND HORN sign.
( View facing north-northeast. Google street view, fetched 13 December 2020)