Railroad Forums 

• 1949 Copy Of NYC Steam and Diesel Rules (2 Books)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#311390  by Engineer James

I know there aren't that many of these around, and happened to come across my grand dads, in his old dresser. The date on it is April 1, 1949, so i am presuming that it is from that peroid. It explans everything from the Firemans tests, (including the water scoops, etc), the Brakemans tests, and the Engineers tests for steam and diesels.

Now, how many origionals are still floating around in circulation?
 #311770  by latonyco

Just this summer I was given two copies of the "NYC Examination for Fireman." One was also dated April 1, 1949. It has operational information relevant to the duties enginemen, hostlers and firemen on diesel, electric and steam locomotives. It also has test questions and answers that the employees in those positions were periodically examined on. The other copy of the same publication was dated July 1, 1956. That book dealt more with diesel and electric motive power operations to the exclusion of steam. Both books are fascinating reading offering greater insight to the duties that those people performed as well as the knowledge required in the operation of their locomotives. The books were given to me by a friend who has long since retired from the Michigan Division of the NYC and its successors.