Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1611592  by eolesen

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/m ... 3/2995998/

Metra riders who were worried about the possibility of a monthly pass price hike can breathe a sigh of relief.

The transit agency will continue offering its $100 "Super Saver" monthly pass through the duration of 2023, under the $980 million operating budget approved Friday.

In a news release, Metra said its board of directors, which agreed on the budget, voted to maintain the current fare prices and products as it prefers to "keep fares simple and affordable."

“We hope that these flexible and affordable fare products will continue to draw former and new riders to our system and continue to grow our ridership” said Metra CEO/Executive Director Jim Derwinski in the news release. “Part of our commitment to My Metra riders is to offer service and fares that meet their evolving needs.”

Two other popular fare options well remain at their current prices as well.

The $6 Day Pass allows for unlimited travel within one to three fare zones until 3 a.m. the following morning.

Under the other day pass, which is $10, riders can receive unlimited rides on all Metra lines until 3 a.m. the next morning.

Metra's overall 2023 budget includes $504.6 million in new investment. About 67% of it will be dedicated to funding large-scale projects such as station reconstruction, railcar rehabilitation and purchase, locomotive improvements, bridge replacement and rehab, ticket vending machines, interlocking and more.
 #1611593  by eolesen

Personally, I find the fare changes alarming. Metra still has a 52% statutory target for farebox recovery, and cutting monthlies by 50%+ doesn't help achieve that.
 #1625147  by DominikW118

It helped bring back ridership. I for one am an example. The $100 monthly was way cheaper than gas+parking. Plus the farebox recovery is exempted until this year (2023). And I'm assuming you've read the new fare structure coming in 2024.
 #1625212  by justalurker66

The proposed 2024 rates will increase the monthlies, but otherwise reflect a reduction of fares. Compared to the pre-covid fares, the monthlies will also be a reduction. The "keep fares affordable and simple" is definitely reflected in the proposed rates.