Railroad Forums 

• Last operational steam loco on Pine Creek RR: where now?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1073191  by GSC

Best thing to do is stop by for a visit. Talk to the guys. Some cool stuff to see, ride the train, visit Allaire Village with the family, have a picnic. A low-cost mini-vacation. Really a nice place to go. Not sure where steamchaser lives, but Allaire is right in the heart of the Jersey Shore area. (Even where THAT show was made is just a few miles from Allaire)
 #1073343  by steamchaser

I live in Florida now but grew up near there and spent alot of time there as a kid. I visit the area a few times a year and would love to see one of the steam engines back running. Stopped there about two years ago and a couple guys working in the shop let me walk around and take a look and saw the engines sitting there sure brought back alot of memories. I know they were working on the #46 and was wondering if it`s any closer to running. I will definately make a special trip when and if it ever happens.
 #1074333  by CTL10D

#46 is getting there little by painstaking little. The dry pipe and other final boiler parts not yet installed are being put back in now. Once the smokebox is then attached, she can go back on her frame and wheels, which is all complete and brand new. The main prob has been that theres only a couple guys that are qualified to do the welding/repairs on the boiler, and they werent around much for awhile. The rest of us have said that once the boiler is finally done, we`re all going to go gung ho putting the rest of the engine back together (cab, jacketing, piping etc).....the boiler has been the main drag. Once its done its all downhill from there....... If you want to see this engine in action, go on youtube. Type in "Porter 2-6-0" The first or second video that comes up is a sister engine that runs in Japan. This is the exact same model of locomotive..... As always, feel free to stop by and check out the railroad. Our annual Railroaders weekend is September 8 & 9 this year. -Chris
 #1074599  by GSC

If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese Porter is one we "bought". Jay Wulfson acted as broker for the sale. It was a Pine Creek loco, for a few weeks, that never came to our property. This loco came from Guatemala, went to a concern in New York State somewhere, and later to Indiana. Have to look up the info.

After this sale, and when we received the 46 from Panama, there was much grumbling that we didn't get the "good" engine. Our Porter was a tad "rough".
 #1074603  by GSC

Hope this youtube link works. If not, type in "Porter Steam #4514 In Action".

Almost identical to the 46. Note the Coca-Cola badge on the tender. This is in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRC_-E2-Wc
 #1074694  by CTL10D

Gary, I must say I hope you live to be 120 yrs old, because you are a treasure chest of information and history. I never would have known that about that engine in Japan being tied to the creek.....Of course its bittersweet because although Im sure that engine required work as well, I think we would have fared better with that loco than the 46. -Chris
 #1074713  by steamchaser

Thanks for the info. I`ll be in the area the end of September maybe I`ll will stop by. It would be nice to see them all run again. That porter is a nice looking engine and I`m sure it will be great to have the 46 running. Have the ownership issues with the 26 ever come close to being resolved? Last time I was there from the outside anyway it looked in great shape and could fire right up. It looked like the shay was having some work done, would that be next in line after the 46? It would be something to them all running again.
 #1074729  by GSC

Ha! Three more years and I'm halfway to 120!

Yeah, there was some mumbling when 46 was delivered. It was in pretty bad shape. That's why we eventually went with the 46's chassis and running gear and the boiler from Sayre & Fisher 0-4-0T #03, also a Porter product. The boiler almost bolted right up to 46's frame. It's been a project in progress since about 1960.
 #1266421  by scottso699

Wow... I can't believe they are selling #26 (the owners not PCRR). That engine was the basis for going to Allaire State park when i was a kid back in the 80s and then something I idolized when I volunteered there as a teenager in the 90s. Stil kills me to see it sitting stuck on the side back in the shed at Allaire.